37

Ada and Karl had to go back to London the next week, Thomas making plans to meet Ada at her house in a couple days due to some business that needed to be done before Epsom.

"Has she still not returned your calls?" Thomas asked while he stroked Hazels hair as she laid on his chest.

"No. I think she wants some time alone. I went to her house too but no answer. I just don't want her to shut us all out and not talk about it atall." Hazel sighed and hugged him slightly tighter.

"She'll come round. Michael was at work this morning." Thomas replied.

"Really? How did he seem?" Hazel looked up at Thomas.

"Covered in cuts. Tired. Angry. I think he knows about Polly." Thomas sighed, reaching to put his cigarette out.

"Jesus." Hazel sighed in defeat, rubbing her head in her hands.

"Are you coming to Epsom?" Thomas decided to change the subject and smiled slightly as Hazel rolled onto her front and propped herself up with her elbows so she could look at him.

"If Polly does." She replied.

"I know you care about her bu-" Thomas began.

"I'm not leaving her here alone." She replied bluntly, and Thomas sighed in defeat.

"Well. I bought you a dress, so if you and Polly end up coming it's on your bed at your house." He smiled softly as he watched her eyes light up.

"Oh well I have to go see it now!" She spoke excitedly.

"Nope. You only take it out of the bag if you are definitely coming to the races." He stopped her.

"Fine." She rolled her eyes.

"You promise? It's important." He raised his eyebrows.

"Yes. I promise." She sighed, flopping back down onto the bed and smiling as he planted a kiss on her forehead.

"We have work. Let's go." He spoke as he reluctantly got out of bed, grabbing Hazels hands and dragging her out with him.

She shivered slightly as she was pulled from the warmth of the bed, instantly rummaging through Tommy's small wardrobe to find any clothes she had left at his house.

"Can we talk?" He spoke again, his tone more serious as he zipped up the back of her skirt for her as she tucked her blouse in.

"What's happened now?" She instantly panicked.

"Nothings happened. It's what's going to happen. At the races." He spoke as he sat himself on the edge of the bed, looking up as she stared down at him with worry written all over her face.

"Tommy what is it?" She asked again.

"Well, the morning of Epsom, I'll be in London- having a business meeting. With Alfie Solomons." He began, cautious of his wording.

"What? Tommy have you gone insane? He just bloody betrayed you!" Hazel hissed.

"Trust me. This plan is heavily thought out. By the end of our business meeting, we will own 30% of his business." Thomas replied coolly.

"And how the fuck are you going to manage that?" She exhaled.

"A very simple scare tactic. A fake bomb- but that's not importa-"

"Not important? A bomb?" Hazel let out an exasperated laugh.

"Do you want to hear the rest of the plan or not?" He raised an eyebrow, watching in amusement at her outburst.