13

It was the day before Hazels birthday- 2 days before black star day. She was working a night shift at The Garrison with Grace, clearing away glasses when a loud banging on the doors startled the both of them. Hazel rolled her eyes with a small smile as she knew it was Thomas, but her smile dropped when he rushed in, pushing past her and pulling chairs out from underneath a table.

"Leave that open" he turned to Grace who was about to close the door, before proceeding to rush around the room. Hazel caught his arm and looked up at him with worry filled eyes, and he allowed his breathing to slow for a moment as he removed his cap and placed it on the bar.

His refusal of whiskey caused Hazel to feel uneasy, "Are you expecting trouble Tom?"

"Yeah" he replied, pulling a gun out from his pocket.

"At this hour?" Grace asked, her voice merely above a whisper

"Midnight is as good an hour as any" He replied, placing the gun down on the bar. "Go home, Grace" He ordered, and ushered her through the back doors.

There was a moment of silence between Hazel and Tommy, before she crossed her arms in frustration, "What the hell is going on?"

"When the St. Andrews bell strikes midnight, two IRA men are gonna come through that door- When they have what they want, they plan to kill me." He spoke, the last sentence making Hazels stomach churn and her heart ache. "It's your job to stop that happening"

"No. Please, lets go home Tommy." She whispered in desperation, reaching out to his face, the thought of losing him made her feel like screaming.

"Look, it will all be fine, I promise, we'll leave without a scratch" He placed his hands on her waist. "Then we'll go home." - his words were not convincing.

"You could've given me some more warning" Hazel pulled away

"I just got the message myself, they want to meet here alone" Thomas explained

"And I don't count?" Hazel raised her eyebrows.

"Nurses don't count" he corrected her.

"Not been a nurse since the war tom." She then corrected him.

"No. You're still a nurse- just too afraid to do what you love again."He argued back, "You're gonna be in that back room. I'm gonna be sitting there. When I make a toast, youre gonna come out with the gun raised. you don't shoot, just point, I'll do the rest.

"Will you kill them?" Hazel whispered.

"No, the police want them alive. Just hold it up" Thomas reached for the gun, "and point, alright?" He explained, standing with his chest pressed to Hazels back and his arm holding hers up.

The bell struck midnight- it was Hazels birthday.

"Alright go on, go" he went to push her away, but before running into the back room she spun around and placed a kiss on his lips- a silent plea for him to stay alive.

Hazels heart raced as she heard the Garrisons doors open, and footsteps on the wooden floor.

"Give me the cash" she heard Thomas's voice speak out, in a more gruff and deep tone than what he'd ever used on her. "You're gonna need a shovel"

She heard chuckles from the two men, "You thick fucking tinker, did you think we'd let you live?" One spoke out. Hazel could of been sick right there and then if she wasn't in hiding.

"Make your peace, Mr Shelby" another spoke.

"I will make my peace my own way" she heard Thomas's voice again, she raised the gun.