20

1922

Returning back to Small Heath terrified Hazel Knightly to say the least. But she had to. Her best friend had lost her husband- she had to.

"I'll come in the morning for the funeral- I can't just waltz back into his home and expect to stay there after 2 years" Hazel groaned, currently trying to back out of getting the train her and Ada were due to be on this evening

"Polly's home aswell- therefore you know you're more than welcome." Ada rolled her eyes and she pulled her coat over her shoulders.

"I'm scared Ada- In fact no, I'm embarrassed, I've pestered him with letters for the past 2 years and he's ignored every one, if that's not a signal for me to fuck off, I don't know what is!" Hazel hissed back, the thought of seeing him making her palms sweaty and her stomach churn.

"You better be there tomorrow morni-" Ada sighed in defeat before her best friend cut her off

"Of bloody course I will be!" Hazel exclaimed with a small smile, grabbing Adas hat and pulling it over her short brown ringlets.

"8am sharp at the house okay?" Ada raised her eyebrows as she opened the door to leave

"Yes boss. Oh! And Ada" Hazel ran after her and pulled her into a hug.

"You get to Polly and you cry okay? just like you did with me- this kind of hurt doesn't go away just because you try and ignore it."

..

Thomas Shelby sat in silence with the rest of his family in the living room of their home- no one dared ask him about how he was feeling about Hazel returning with Ada, partly out of fear of witnessing one of his outbursts and partly because of his deathly pale complexion which covered his face due to the sheer amount of emotions he was feeling. Too many emotions for the liking of Thomas Shelby. A knock at the door pulled him from his thoughts, and he stood up abruptly, swigging down the rest of his whiskey. Polly gave him a look of warning before opening the door with a smile on her face, pulling Ada into a tight hug the second she laid eyes on her. Thomas waited for Hazel to be the next to step through the doorway, but she wasn't anywhere to be seen. He didn't know wether to be relieved or angry- so he was both. Relieved he didn't have to feel the emotions as he laid eyes on her again, but angry that he couldn't do just that- lay eyes on her again.

"Ada my love where's Hazel, is she okay?" Polly frowned as she shut the door, watching Arthur and John release Ada from big bear hugs.

"She's getting the first train tomorrow morning. She had um, things to do" Ada replied slowly, not daring to let her eyes flicker over to Tommys.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Ada." he cleared his throat, his eyes softening as they landed on his sisters paler than usual face, her pretty eyes lined with dark circles.

"Ah well, something for us to look forward to tomorrow- having Hazel back, maybe she'll even stay, ey Tom" Arthur mumbled, flinching slightly as Thomas slammed his glass down on the table.

"She'll come for the fucking funeral then she'll leave just as quick as she left 2 years ago, alright brother" Thomas spat.

"Look Tommy-" John begun, before being cut off abruptly.

"I won't fucking hear it John, alright?!." Thomas shouted, but his voice cracked to a much weaker and tired tone.

The room was silent once again.

"Come on sweetheart, I'll run you a hot bath" Polly steered Ada out of the room, but not before turning around and shooting Thomas a glare which if looks could kill- he'd be dead.

..

Hazel stood at the door of the house which held so many of her memories- good and bad. Her fist hovered above the wood, but she couldn't bring herself to knock. Suddenly the door swung open causing her to gasp, only for her lips to curve into a soft smile as John Shelby stood in front of her with a smile.

"Am I getting de ja vu or some thing?" he grinned cheekily, referencing to the first day him and Hazel first met.

"Come here you" she smiled, jumping into his arms for a hug, her sweet laughter echoing through the house as he dragged her inside.

Thomas Shelby froze. That was her laugh.

"I heard Esme is knocked up." Hazel smiled

"yeah I knocked her up alright" John winked back at her proudly, causing her to roll her twinkly brown eyes with a smile.

Hearing the stomp of clumsy footsteps descend the stairs, Hazel spun to face the door, embracing for the impact of the over excited Finn and Arthur Shelby, before she could say anything, they pulled her into a group hug.

"Boys I can barely breathe" Hazel struggled as they finally let her out of their strong grip.

"Bloody hell Finn, you've grown" Hazel laughed at the boy who was now the same height as her.

"As have you" A gruff voice spoke from the doorway, causing Hazel to freeze. She could recognize that voice from a mile away.

She spun around, and was met with the beautiful blue eyes she had fallen in love with upon her first interaction with him.

"Hello Thomas"