16

Thomas awoke softly the next morning. his eyes weren't snapped open upon the departure of a nightmare, instead they fluttered open to the sound of soft breathing next to him- to Hazel. He took a deep breath as he realised what day it was, wishing he could stay in this moment forever- the girl he loved cuddling into him like he was some sort of teddy bear. He brushed the now messy hair out of her face and kissed her forehead gently.

"Hazel" he murmured, the vibrations from his chest tickling against her ear as she slowly opened her eyes.

"Good morning" she smiled sleepily, leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his soft lips. Thomas smiled against the feeling of her touch and tried to deepen the kiss, but was confused when Hazel pulled away with a smile.

"You know what day it is" she sighed as she moved to sit on the edge of the bed, causing him to roll his eyes.

"Another half hour won't matter" he grumbled, grabbing her waist and pulling her back down to the bed, causing her to giggle slightly, turning her head to kiss him again- both of them already desperate for the other.

They pulled apart at the noise of the front door creaking open, Tommys first instinct was to reach for his gun, but Hazel was quick to grab his arm, placing kiss on his nose- "you're forgetting this isn't our house" she laughed, pulling on her dress and throwing Tommys shirt at his face.

..

Thomas had left Hazel and went to go round up his men, and Hazel made her way over to the house, making her way upstairs to get changed out of last nights clothes and check up on Katie.

Hearing muttering coming from the kitchen, she proceeded back down stairs, watching Polly praying at the table.

"Dear Lord, make this day pass well. Let none get hurt, and make them that do not Shelbys. Watch John, because he has so many depending on him. Watch Arthur, because he's likely to hurt himself as much as anyone else."

Hazels attention had turned to Thomas, who had quietly made his way into the house, stopping to listen to Polly aswell.

-"And watch Thomas. I know how he is. But he does what he does for us- I think. Amen" Polly rolled her eyes, making the cross sign before turning to the couple behind her. "I used to do that every morning during the war" she admitted, looking slightly worried. "I hoped I'd done it for the last time."

"Today will be the last time, Pol. After today, there'll be no more need for prayers- we'll be set." he spoke reassuringly. "Family meeting, half ten" he ordered, turning to Hazel and kissing her on the forehead before swiftly exiting the house.

Hazel turned to Polly who had a coy smile on her face. "Finally?" she raised her eyebrows.

"Yes Pol" Hazel answered, trying to wipe the large smile off her face.

..

Hazel was over the moon at the fact that Ada finally decided to believe that Thomas didn't give up Freddie, and was overjoyed at finally meeting baby Karl properly.

"You know, I'll tell him when he's older you helped deliver him" Ada smiled as she watched Hazel coo over her son.

"It was my pleasure Ada" she smiled warmly.

"Listen, you've been a good friend to me, to our whole family. I know I could trust you with anything, and you're like a daughter to Polly, and like a sister to me" Ada spoke. "I'd love it if you could be his godmother. I know you've got Katie to look after, but-" Ada rambled on, only to be interrupted by Hazels arms pulling her into a hug.

"Of course Ada! Id love to!" she exclaimed, her cheeks hurting from the large smile that was plastered across her cheeks.

Adas reply was cut off by the door to the living room opening and revealing all the faces at the family meeting, which was preparing everyone for the events of the day.