3

It was the morning of the funeral. I sighed as I brushed through katies hair and helped her into her black dress.

"why do we wear black at funerals, hay? why not bright happy colours, its already sad enough as it is. I want bright colours at my funeral" she chirped up.

I smiled at her innocence but frowned at the last part. "don't talk about your own funeral Katie, that's a lifetime away" I scolded, the thought of her passing before I did broke my heart.

"you still look beautiful sister, even in a black dress." she sighed up at me.

I smiled back but sighed at my appearance. I didn't feel beautiful atall. I had on a plain black fitted dress with sleeves that ended at my elbows. nothing special. my undereyes were beginning to darken due to my lack of sleep, they were next to impossible to cover up, so I attached the black lace veil to my head and pulled it down over my face, thankful for its ability to cover my face for when the tears start to spill.

..

the service was beautiful. simple, but beautiful. each Shelby boy spoke, even Thomas. it was a short speech, but it meant the world. pollys speech was the most beautiful part. mentioning her favourite memories, stories id never heard before.

it was when I heard katies small cries I lost it. I was thankful for her height, as I crouched down and pulled her into a hug, I tried disguising my own body that was shaking as the tears poured out. although I wasn't fooling anyone, as Polly brought katie into a hug, I felt arms spin me around and pull me into an embrace. I breathed in their scent, it was comforting. as I looked over their shoulder, I saw Thomas and Arthur stood with their caps in their hands, Thomas's eyes boring into the back of john as he embraced me, almost a hint of anger.

I sniffled, and thanked john for the comfort, before making my way over to everyone else, thanking them all for coming.

"can I speak to you, later on" Thomas asked quietly

"of course, where?"

"Ill find you"

..

as evening broke out, it was time for my first shift at the garrison, Thomas had agreed I could work there until he finds me something better, considering there was already another woman with a job there, I didn't feel so uneasy. I waved goodbye to polly and katie and made my way over.

as I walked in, the pub fell silent. I took a shaky breath and makde my way over the bar, shaking the bartenders hand. as that contact was made, the pub was filled with noise again.

"you must be hazel, Im harry" he gave me a friendly smile, before showing me how to operate things behind the bar, I got used to it pretty quickly.

as I turned around to put a beer glass away, I bumped into someone, "oh god Im so sorry!" I laughed. I was met with a woman, perhaps a year or two older than am. she had short blonde hair and a much paler complexion than mine.

"no worries, Im grace, Thomas told me youd be starting" she replied with a soft Irish accent.

"you speak with Thomas" I raised an eyebrow, not even sure why I was bothered

"not particularly, he just mentioned it the last time he was here. are you together?" She asked with curiosity.

"No no" I laughed

"Well, I wouldn't be surprise, you are very pretty. Where are you from may I ask"

"Born in a camp in Birmingham, travelled around" I answered shortly, not fancying giving too much information to a stranger