26

Of course Hazel wasn't going to get a boat to London.

She had waited exactly three days, and now she was stood at the station in Birmingham, ready to board the train to London. It had taken her a painful amount of convincing for Polly to let her go. But she had finally agreed. Hazel knew Sabini may have people looking for her- but not as much as Tommy, and she thought a train that gets into a very busy station would help her keep fairly anonymous- her face would blend in with hundreds of others. Or so she hoped.

When Polly heard about what had happened to Thomas and Hazel, she was terrified. And furious and even slightly heartbroken. She saw Hazel in a similar way a mother would see her daughter- and the second she had her back in Small Heath she'd been beaten, and almost had worse things happen to her. She knew what those sort of men could do to women like Hazel.

Hazel had kept her promise to Thomas and refrained from explaining to Polly about inspectors campbells visit to them in the hospital. But she had explained to Polly about her and Alfie's 'friendship'- which in a way put Pollys mind at ease slightly. At least Hazel knew the man.

Polly was of course furious that Hazel had helped Thomas leave, but she knew that's what love did to a person. In a way, she was more angry at Thomas. She knew Thomas could see Hazel still felt strongly about him, and therefore he could use her to help him with almost anyhing. Polly feared that one day Hazel would even kill for Thomas- or worse- end up getting killed herself.

"I want a phone call the second you get to this Solomon's place- you tell him you have to use the phone or you can't stay." Polly ordered sternly as she watched the train pull into the station.

"Ah yes Pol. I'll say that to a gangster." Hazel rolled her eyes sarcastically. "- Don't worry. He'll let me phone- and I'll get picked up right from the station."

"Hm. Good. It seems he has a soft spot for you." Polly smirked.

"I'm his nurse. I help him, and in return he isn't awful to me. But no- that man doesn't have a soft spot for anyone. I don't think he's capable of it. But I don't think he'd ever kill me? So I guess that's good." She replied, smiling awkwardly.

"You don't think? Well isn't that reassuring." Polly scoffed, handing Hazel her coat.

"I have to go Pol. I promise I'll be back as soon as I can, trust me, I have no desire to stay in London for long. And I'll try and bring home Thomas the stray too." She smiled, and Polly pulled her into a quick hug, squeezing her tightly.

"Be safe my love." She mumbled as she watched Hazel walk onto the train.

..

Later that day, Thomas stood at Alfie Solomon's 'bakery', watching as the large, bearded man stomped inelegantly toward him. He also heard the clicking of heels, and his face stiffened as he saw the last person he expected to see walking behind Alfie.

"Oh for fucks sake." Thomas let out an exasperated laugh as the pair stood before him.

"Sorry Tom. I was invited too." Hazel shrugged innocently, a small smile playing at her lips as she handed Thomas the telegram that Alfie sent her.

Thomas just snatched it off her and clenched his jaw. She just couldn't listen to him.

"Right- you came here on your own?" Alfie asked Thomas. Alfie was massive compared to him- but Thomas still managed to stand tall and keep the air about him calm but also threatening- this was what usually drew in women and intimidated enemies.

"Seems so." Thomas shrugged, gesturing to Hazel who was still stood next to Alfie.

"-Well, you're a brave lad ain't you? You want to take a look at my bakery?" Alfie drawled, beginning to hobble back down the corridor, and Thomas and Hazel followed behind, Hazel purposefully avoiding Thomas's harsh glare. "We bake all sorts here mate, yeah. Did you know we bake over 10,000 loaves a week? Can you believe it? We bake the white bread, the brown bread- would you like to try some?"