[WKM|Damien x Reader] Cleopatra

[OK, folks, listen up! TRIGGER WARNING - Mentions of self-harm, smoking, and suicide. If any of these topics bother you, please skip this chapter, and go drink some water. I care about you folks, and I don't want any of you to be seriously upset by this. Thank you, my loves.

This is also a song fic, and I've left the song up top for you to listen to, Cleopatra by The Lumineers. (And the gif up top is my DA insert, lol)]

Written: Friday, 3rd September 2021

[Round 1]

Y/n nodded politely to the butler, handing over their invitation, hands shaking. Tonight would be the first time they'd seen their friends in a long time. Her eyes darted around the foyer, locking with a disgruntled man before flashing to- "Damien!" She rushed down the small stairs, throwing herself into his tight embrace.

"Y/n! There you are, old friend." They released each other, smiles and eyes bright. "How are you settling into your new office?"

"It's a lot cushier than my old place, I'll give you that!" His smile widened, nodding encouragingly.

"I know it'll take some getting used to, but there's no one I'd rather have alongside me to protect this great city of ours."

Y/n's cheeks flushed. "With you it's no chore, Mr Mayor." A light punch to his arm sent them into soft laughter. Damien's hands tightened on his cane.

"I honestly didn't think you'd come. I know you and Mark don't have the best history."

"And miss seeing your stupid face?" Y/n laughed half-heartedly; eyes cast to the floor. "Plus, with pops finally carking it, it's not like I had plans." A hand came to rest on her shoulder, Damien mumbling his apologies. Y/n shrugged him off, smile lighting up once more. "He was a grumpy old crab apple, anyway. I'd better stop talking your ear off though, I'm sure you're in high demand tonight."

Damien gave a sympathetic nod, patting her back. "I'll see you at the table soon but try not to rob me blind again." Y/n flashed a wink, heart beating hard against her ribs as she caught the tiny blush spready over his nose.

"No promises!"

"We'll catch up."

[Round 2]

Y/n was only slightly not paying attention to the warnings and threats George the groundskeeper was spitting out, still reeling from waking up at the front of the house again. Suddenly, that unnatural lightning split the sky in two, sending the group running for the house. Y/n's mud-caked flats left stained footprints on the stairs, the house seemingly shifting around her as she collapsed at the door. It slammed open, handle embedding itself in the wall, red light only interrupted by the figure looming over her. Celine, or whatever was in her body, grinned, reaching for Y/n before the door was pushed closed.

Y/n felt herself being lifted from the floor, nodding at the hurried "Are you ok?"s being thrown her way. A weight lifted from her aching chest, dragging cold air back into her lungs, heart thumping so hard her world shook. "I will not let my friends die in this godforsaken house! And if you are all too much of a coward to do the same, you had best leave before I kill you myself!" The Colonel stormed off into the halls, the detective in close pursuit. Y/n didn't know when she'd teared up, a sniffle escaping her as Benjamin put a hand on her shoulder. So familiar, yet foreign. She raised her head to meet his eye, lip wobbling.

"I never should have let him go, not again."

"I know you're in pain, the colonel will be too, but we need to leave this place." The hand dropped away, Benjamin giving her a solemn nod. "There's only death here now."