[Cuphead|Chips Bettigan x Long Lost Daughter!Reader] Hat & Heart Stealing

[This chapter is dedicated to the darling MysticalPhoenix12! You've been so patient with me, and I'm really, really, so incredibly thankful for that. I've, uh, had a lot of stuff going on lately. I hope you enjoy this! (Also, I left a cute little doodle of what I think Y/n Bettigan might look like, but you're free to imagine them however you like!)

TW: Negligent parenting, vague descriptions of neglectful abuse

If you think there is any chance that the above might trigger you, please skip this chapter, and go drink some water. Stay safe, my lovelies!]

Written: Saturday, 10th October 2021

"Morning, Mama!" Y/n chirped, sliding into the kitchen with a small smile on her face. "What do you feel like this morning?" Getting no response from the woman on the couch, Y/n began to dig through the cupboards, humming a tune as she went. "We've got cereal, toast, or... ooh! I could run out to the store and make pancakes!"

"We don't have that kind of money, Y/n." Her mother, Mary Ann L/n, grunted in return. Y/n frowned a little but nodded, stomach rumbling.

"Toast it is then!"

Y/n and her mother ate in silence in their small living room, Mary Ann refusing to make eye contact with his daughter. "I'm gonna go to the store today, Ma. We're outta milk. Is that ok?"

"Fine." Y/n fidgeted lightly, fighting to keep her smile on, even if her brows dipped a little.

"Is something wrong, Ma?" Mary Ann's head rose, and Y/n wished she'd kept her mouth shut, heart beating a little faster in her chest. "I-I-I mean, I just wanted to know if I could do anything for you, that's all!" Her mother's voice was deadly quiet, lip curled into a snarl.

"You're costing me everything I've ever earned, Y/n Bettigan, the best you could ever do for me is go bother someone else. I don't care where you go, but I don't want you here."

"Ma? What are you saying?" Y/n's hands shook with the effort of holding back her tears, clutching the hem of her ragged dress.

"Get out. Take your things, and don't come back." Her voice never rose, cold eyes returning to the plate of toast in front of her. Y/n dropped her head, standing from the rotting couch.

"Yes, Ma."

The next few nights were rough, Y/n didn't have much, besides the clothes on her back and a thin blanket she'd robbed from her mattress. She hid in alley ways, moving nightly to ensure she was never caught.

Eventually, the little money she had ran out. With no friends and even less family, she had no choice. Sequestered on the other side of the train tracks was the casino, a place she'd been told to avoid her entire life. The time had finally come to enter the revolving golden doors and enter the sinner's paradise. They'd hire anyone, she heard, and she really did need a job.

Shivering, blanket wrapped tight around her, she jumped across the train tracks, bare feet tiptoeing over the beams. The cave that held her destination was surprisingly dry, if a little chilly. She kept her footfalls as silent as was possible for a malnourished 11-year-old, feeling eyes watch her every movement before she pushed into the building.

The casino was loud, jazz music and laughter echoing through Y/n's head, making her cringe. It was lively and soft and fun and warm all at the same time. It felt oddly like home, the one she never had. Hopping onto the nearest barstool, she caught the attention of a tall mug creature, dressed in blue. "Hello, can I help you with something? This isn't exactly a place you should be caught up." Y/n nodded, taking the glass of water he slid over, chugging it down gratefully.