[Googleplier x Robot Reader] Elastic Heart

REWRITTEN: 3rd May, 2020

7 years later...

Y/n bit her lip anxiously, looking in the mirror for umpteenth time, just to avoid the phone on her bedside table. It lay still and silent, no messages, no calls. It set her on edge.

It'd been a week since Google had made contact, when he used to call her every night, just to talk. She began to wonder whether she'd done something to hurt him, or worse... Something had happened to him.

She shook her head determinedly, dislodging those thoughts as she snatched up the phone, pulling up her message app. She scrolled through days of unanswered texts and debated for a moment, before tapping out a message.

Hey, Google! Why aren't you responding? If I did something to hurt you, please let me know...

Please call, I miss you.

Heading to work now, hope you have a good day!

Love you, Googs.

Y/n sighed heavily, dropping the phone into her bag and scratching the orange tabby cat who had appeared next to her, concern shining in his eyes. She chuckled, petting him softly. "I'll be alright, Blaze. At least you'll be here when I get home. At least while there's food on the table anyway."

And with that, she left her small London apartment, stumbling onto the bustling street below, everyone dressed up against the cold. She took a deep breath and began her walk to the office.

She checked the time quickly, figuring she had time for a chat while she checked in for the day. "Hey, Beth, how's life treating ya?" Y/n smiled at the receptionist as she leaned on the desk, shivering at the sudden warmth of the building. Beth looked away for a moment, melancholy. "You feeling ok, Beth?" Y/n asked. Beth's head shot up again and she put on a brave smile.

"Yeah, no, I'm alright. You?"

"Not too shabby." Y/n nodded. "D'ya wanna go for a coffee after work? You knock off early today, don't you?"

"I'd like that. Also, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but... the boss wants to see you." Y/n's eyes widened, her chest squeezing tightly. I'm going to lose my job.

"Thanks, Beth. See you after work." Beth nodded her confirmation, watching after Y/n as she took the walk of shame to the elevator.

The boss only ever wanted to interact with his employees when he wanted to fire them, Y/n wasn't exactly optimistic about her chances. As the elevator climbed higher, so did her heart rate. The boss was ruthless, most employees tried to avoid him at all costs. All except one. Phoebe Chandler, also known as Snitch Bitch by her colleagues. The resident teacher's pet, she could suck up there was no tomorrow.

Before she knew it, Y/n was faced with formidable double doors, the only thing separating her and unemployment. Steeling herself, she knocked on the door, entering when a gruff voice invited her. Y/n's eyes narrowed slightly when she saw Phoebe, standing behind the boss' chair like a faithful pet. She had a nasty smirk on her face, their boss' face hardened like a stone as he stared Y/n down. "Sit."

Y/n perched on the edge of the leather seat careful not to make eye contact. "Now, Ms L/n. I've heard several rumours as of late that you have been causing trouble and harassing your co-worker, Ms Chandler." He shuffled some papers, looking up at Phoebe, who immediately began to tear up, staring at through watery eyes.

"It's true, sir! She's had it out for me since I started, she started calling me "Snitch Bitch", because I follow procedure!" She sniffled and the boss softened, patting her on the back.