[Cuphead|Casino!Chips Bettigan x Male!Reader] Newbie

[Dedicated to the incredible PizzaaRolls, thank you so much for this adorable request! I hope I did it justice! This one has he/him pronouns, folks! I hope you enjoy it!]

Written: Thursday, 4th February 2022

"So, you've worked in a few bars before, haven't you?" Mugman finished running Y/n L/n, the new hire, through the last of the procedures.

"Yeah, yeah. Basically, all my life at this point." Y/n grinned, drawing a smile from Mugman.

"Well, this is just that, but with far stronger liquor. Make sure to double check their species before you offer them a drink, especially if they're human like you. Some of this stuff could kill you, ya know?"

"Well, I'll keep that in mind." Y/n rubbed his arm nervously. Sure, it wasn't his first gig as a bartender, but working under The Devil himself kinda works up the nerves. Mugman gave him another smile, patting his shoulder comfortingly.

"I'll be with you for most of your shifts anyway, at least for the first few months. And if anyone tries anything, you left me or one of the staff know. Luckily for us, the boss doesn't appreciate anyone messing with his staff." He encouraged the older man to take a deep breath, relaxing Y/n just enough that his hands at least stopped shaking, even if his heart was thundering like a runaway freight train.

The first few hours passed without incident. Y/n served a few dozen customers, most of them repeat offenders, making drinks, occasionally passing food orders down to the kitchen. Mugman stuck close to help work the register and shoo away a couple patrons who had had more than enough. Y/n mentally took note, watching his body language and the polite manner of speaking, mostly trying to memorise some of the words, in case he got caught out. Finally, the rush had died down for the moment, Mugman nudging his co-worker. "Go on your dinner break, Y/n."

"Sure. This is my hour break, right?" Mugman nodded, distractedly returning to serve more customers.

Y/n ducked out from behind the bar, heading for the breakroom.

Leaning against the counter, the hum of the microwave in his ears, scrolling mindlessly through some social media or another, Y/n eyes flicked toward the only other figure in the room. The man was digging into the back of the fridge, triumphantly pulling out what looked like day-old ravioli. The fridge shut and the two made eye contact. "Hey, you're the newbie, huh?" His southern-accent nearly melted Y/n as he approached.

"Yeah, hi, I'm Y/n L/n." He held his hand out for a shake, the man gladly taking it. For a man who looked like he was made of poker chips, he was surprisingly handsome. Y/n coughed, finally realising he'd been shaking his hand for way too long. "Yeah, I'm the new bartender." The man smiled.

"Well, I'm Chips, Chips Bettigan. I'm one of the dealers. It's nice to meet ya." Y/n swallowed, forcing down the blush forming on his cheeks.

"Great to meet you too, Chips." His nerves skyrocketed as Chips slung an arm around his shoulders.

"You know what, I'm gonna be the one to show you around! Bring your lunch, you can eat while we walk." Y/n barely had room to protest, not that he would've.

Hot lunch in one hand, fork in the other, Chips' arms still securely around him, Y/n was led around the casino. He did honestly try to pay attention, but Chips' accent was hypnotising. It drowned out the drunken laughter and the boom of The Devil's voice, and the word themselves became gibberish. He did make sure to note where the bathroom was.

"And this, is where I'll be gawking at you from." Chips smirked down at the man clutched against his side. Y/n face lit up as he beheld the main floor of the casino, all too aware of their boss sitting at the head. "Feel free to eye me up as well, sugar, so long as the boss ain't lookin' at ya."