[Supernatural|Sam & Reader] Empathy

[Congrats, you're an empath! Basically you can feel what others are feeling and influence them to a certain extent, like Mantis, from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. Hope you enjoy, sorry it's so short!]

Written: Tuesday, 31st March 2020

"So, you finally got him down, huh?" Sam smiled softly at his brother's slow breathing as he lay against their friends' chest. Y/n looked up from where she was slowly petting Dean's hair.

"Yeah, he's out for the count, been like this for a while." She huffed a laugh, a soft smile slipping across her lips.

"How's he doing?"

"Physically? It looks like he's ok. Emotionally..." She placed a gentle hand across his back, his pain hitting her like a double-decker bus flying down the freeway on a Thursday night. Tears immediately began to flow over her cheeks, sapping her energy completely as she sniffled, holding him tighter in her arms. Sam carefully sat next to the pair, concern rooting itself on his face. "He's, uh, not doing so hot." Y/n managed to stutter out, her windpipe now swollen beyond speech. Her face split into a painful grin as she continued to feel Dean's anguish tear through her body.

She eased her power out, wiping her teary eyes on her sleeve without disturbing the man resting against her, desperately trying to catch her breath. "How do you suppose he does it? It must be so tiring..." Y/n yawned, head pounding as Sam shrugged.

"He's been doing this for as long as I can remember. After dad... After everything that's happened, I guess he sees relationships as no longer an option." Sam sighed tiredly, shoulders heaving as if under some weight far greater than anyone should ever have to bear.

"Hey. I just... wanna thank you." Y/n spoke up after a minute of them sitting in silence. Sam raised an eyebrow in response. "Even after all you two have been through, you were still kind to me, still took me in when everyone else was hunting me. Recognised me as a person, rather than a threat."

"Don't sweat it, you're basically human, anyway. Just... with a few added features." His smile didn't reach his eyes but the look he gave her, his friend, practically their baby sister, was the most sincere thing she'd seen in a long time.

"Thanks, Sammy. You and Dean, hell, even Cas, Charlie, Jodie, you guys are closest thing I've ever had to a family. I love you, Sam."

"Love you too, Y/n. Do you plan on being able to move for the next couple hours?" Sam gestured to the still sleeping Dean in her lap. Y/n smiled down at her brother, pulling him closer.

"I think I'll be ok, I'm due for a nap as well." Sam chuckled, kissing her forehead gently.

"Night, Y/n."

"Night, Sam."

[This isn't my best work but I'm rusty, gimme a break! Nah, there's not really an excuse here. Any Supernatural fans in the audience?]