[P&F|Human!Perry x Reader] Charging

[Dedicated to the lovely @RedRosePhoenix! I'm sorry for the delay, but I sincerely hope you enjoy! Sorry again! (Art by me :D)]

Written: Saturday, 29th August 2020

To say he was a regular was an understatement, to say the least. Perry Flynn-Fletcher spent half his life sitting at the booth in the corner of the tiny coffeeshop, often shoving away the exhaustion with five espresso shots in some sugary, fluffy drink that didn't have much flavour left but helped keep him awake, nonetheless.

He knew everyone, their routines, their jobs, he'd even met a couple of their dogs. So, when she stepped in one rainy Tuesday afternoon, he noticed.

She was nervous, jittery as she ordered her tea. Clutching at her bag strap and bouncing on the balls of her feet, she was careful not to miss her name, smiling gratefully at the barrister before immediately rushing to a table once the drink was safely in her possession.

Sitting with her back against the wall, she pulled out a laptop, shifting the large pair of headphones around her neck to her ears as she logged in. Cracking her neck, she began to type.

Her hands flew across the keyboard, brows furrowed, pink tongue poking ever so slightly out of her lips. Her concentration mesmerised him, and it wasn't until his trusty watch started to beep that he tore his eyes away, sighing heavily, before heading out.

Another day, another dawn. A few weeks after her first visit, Perry was glad to see she'd become a regular. She was more confident in her order now, often joking with the young barrister before heading to her spot against the wall.

Her fingers suddenly stopped their tapping and she began to look around frantically, clicking a few times as she locked eyes with him. She took a deep breath, gathering up her things, steeling herself. His breath mirrored hers and she approached him, cheeks red.

"I'm really sorry to bother you, but..." Her eyes flicked to the power point behind him. "You're sitting at the only table with an outlet and my laptop's about to die. Do you mind?" Perry shook his head no, receiving a shaky smile in return. He went to get up, but she stopped him. "You don't have to leave, I mean, you basically know me already."

He raised an eyebrow as she plugged her computer in. "I've seen the way you look at me." His face lit up, the tips of his ears darkening. "It's fine, by the way. I think you're pretty darn interesting too. You got a name?" He grabbed a napkin, scribbling out his name. "Perry Flynn-Fletcher, huh? That's..." She swallowed hard. "That's a really nice name. You don't speak?" He shrugged his shoulders heavily, staring at her, trying to gauge her reaction. "Ok, then... Do you know ASL? I'm a little rusty, but if it's easier for you to communicate that way, then I'm happy to brush up."

His heart melted just the tiniest bit as he raised his hands to sign, Thank you.

"No problem, Perry." She took a sip of her tea. "You probably already know my name from the cup, but I'm Y/n L/n."

That's a pretty name, he signed, looking to her laptop. Why do you write like you're running out of time? An airy giggle escaped her, and his heart began to race. He wanted to hear it again, let it be his calm.

"Because I am. My editor is super on my arse about finishing the ending, but I just can't seem to get it right."

Your editor?
"Oh, right. You see, I'm an author. Or an aspiring one, at least. This is my first novel." She chuckled. "At least the first one I'm submitting for publishing. I used to write so many fanfictions it's not even funny."

Can I read it sometime? He asked, quickly adding, If you want me to, that is. A smile spread across her cheeks and she smiled bashfully at him.

"As much as I would love that-" An alarm started to ring from her bag, growing louder as she pulled it out, shutting it off with a wince. "-it'll have to wait. I have a lunch date with my sister to get to. But, here," Snatching up a napkin, she scratched down her number, drawing a little love heart before handing it to him. "So, we can meet up again. I'll see you later, Perry Flynn-Fletcher."

In a while, Y/n L/n.