[BF:U| Ricky Goldsworth x Reader] Tea

Written: Thursday, 25 October 2018

"Alright Tinsley, I'm gonna head home. You need me for anything else?" The taller man shook his head and bid her goodnight, rubbing furiously at his eyes before beginning to type once more. Y/n, marginally satisfied with her colleague's answer gave him a friendly pat on the back. "Don't stay up too late, Tins. You know how you get when you drink too much coffee!" She called on her way out of the office. She worked as somewhat of a sidekick to C.C. Tinsley, running a small private investigator service with him on 21st street. Stepping out onto the darkened street she realized how late it actually was, with the moon now high in the sky, illuminating what the streetlights didn't. They were working on a case, a serial killer running all over the downtown area, no connection to or between the victims in sight. The only reason they knew who he was, small notecards he left in their victims wounds. "Catch me if you can!" or "Up for a game of cat and mouse?" were some of his favourite messages to leave, always signed with an obviously fake name, Ricky Goldsworth.

The latest one, a 32 year-old man with a shit ton of drugs in his system, found dead, half naked on the bed. Party drugs, used to lower people's defences and get them into bed. Either Goldsworth drugged him or the man tried to drug him and he switched their drinks unnoticed. The guy he killed was a registered sex offender, so probably the latter. Stepping into the hallway of her apartment building, Y/n sighed. She was in the office so long, she forgot to pick up groceries on her way home. It didn't matter, Tinsley ordered Chinese for them earlier that night, so she wasn't really that hungry. She strolled up to the vending machine behind the main stairs, inserting $2.50 and ordering a block of chocolate, grabbing it before stalking up the stairs toward the elevators.

The elevators were empty, aside from a man in a suit leaving the building. The woman pushed the button for her floor, her shoulders slumping as soon as the doors closed. She was tired, all she wanted to do was make some tea and write a few more chapters for the novel she had started in her spare time, although she doubted she'd have the motivation to do so. The elevator doors opened once more to a bland hallway, red and yellow carpet paired with bland white wallpaper, covered in fingerprints. She trudged down the hallway to her apartment, unlocking her door and slipping inside silently, as to not disturb her neighbours. She placed her coat and bag by the door and switched on her lights.

She half-stumbled into the kitchen, clumsily flicking on the lights and wandering to the jug. She flicked it on so it was boiling and readied a mug, dropping a teabag in. She sat at her kitchen table, closing her eyes for a moment, only to feel a cold line across her throat. A knife, shiny and sharp, pressed against her neck. Her eyes flickered slightly but she didn't move. "And you are?" She drawled, unphased by the presence behind her. They backed off, coming around to sit on the table, toying with the knife. A dark haired man, with a predatory grin plastered across his face, accompanied with cunning eyes, the face of a man who enjoyed a hunt. "Goldsworth." He said by way of greeting. "But I'm sure you already know that, Y/n." Her name dripped from his lips like honey. It didn't faze her that this man had broken into her house and was likely going to kill her tonight, what bothered her the most was him sitting on the table.

She was about to scold him, when the jug made a small "ding". She sighed heavily, bracing herself to rise from her position when Ricky put the knife back to her throat. "Don't even think about it." His voice was heavy with unspoken threats. "Think about what? Getting help? Goldsworth, you of all people should've realized, my phone hasn't left my bag." The colour drained from his face. He ran purely on intimidation and once he saw it wasn't going to work on the tired woman, he began to stutter, his confidence falling apart at his feet. It frustrated him. "Why aren't you scared? What's wrong with you?" She relaxed further into the chair. "You gotta understand, Goldsworth. I haven't had a will to live since 9th grade. If it weren't for Tins, I probably wouldn't be standing here, ready for you to kill at the end of your visit. Now, if you're done, do you want a cup of tea?" She said it so nonchalantly, like she was simply discussing the weather with him. It left him dumbfounded. He climbed off the table carefully, planting his feet on the floor. "I don't see why not." It just slipped out of him, he wasn't sure why the thought had crossed his mind in the first place but it was too late now. She nodded, grabbing a twin mug to hers and another tea bag, pouring them both a cup, humming a tired tune.

Placing the mug down in front of him, she sat across from the killer, taking a sip and sighing through her nose. "So, any particular reason you decided to drop in on me?" She half-mumbled, trying to force her usual sass into her exhausted voice. "Nah, just checking you don't have any intel on me." She huffed in annoyance. "And here I was thinking you were visiting because you liked me." He chuckled. "Trust me, doll. I'd love to spend more time with ya but you know how it is." She nodded. "Why don't you join me and Tins as detectives? Stop being a serial killer and start catching em?" Ricky swirled the tea in his mug, staring into it intensely before shifting his gaze back to the young woman across from him. She stared back just as intensely through lowered eyelashes. "Nah, doesn't have the same adrenaline rush." Nodding sleepily, she went to the sink, washing both their mugs out. "You gonna stay for a movie or am I going to bed?" She asked bluntly, rubbing at her eyes. A low rumbling chuckle erupted from his chest. "You can go to bed, doll. I've got some business to attend to on the other side of town." Y/n mumbled a vague goodbye, waving as Ricky left through the front door, locking it behind him. She stumbled into her bedroom, passing out as soon as her face hit the pillow, not even bothering to change from her trench coat into pyjamas.

The next morning, Y/n sprinted into work wide-eyed and zazzed. Tinsley was asleep at his desk, snoring softly and he almost punched her when she slammed the door to their office open and shook him violently. She opened her mouth to tell him all about her encounter with Goldsworth but closed it when she thought of how sweet he'd been, once she broke his fake confidence. So instead of telling her friend that story, she said, "Tins! Did you sleep here?" He nodded grumpily and she reached up to ruffle his hair. He swatted her hand away with a chuckle. "Breakfast, Y/n?" Y/n smiled, this was one secret that could stay safe for now. "Of course, Tins. There's a new waffle place down the street I wanna try, you in?" The detective grinned, fixing his crumpled shirt. "Always."