[SPN|Winchester Bros. & Reader] Birthdays

Written: Friday, 10 April 2020

"Happy birthday, Y/n." Y/n's eyes fluttered open to stare up at her older brothers, wiping sleep from her tired eyes as she dropped her head back into her pillow, grinning.

"We brought breakfast!" Dean held up a large takeaway bag, shaking it enticingly. Sam shook his head, chuckling.

"You're both gonna get diabetes, I swear."

"Shut up, Sammy! It's her birthday, calories don't count!" Dean sniped back, smirking good-naturedly at his brother.

"That is so not how it works."

Meanwhile, Y/n had slipped from her bed, pulling on an old maroon hoodie, rainbow toe socks shining from beneath it. "Ok, let's eat!" She exclaimed, running from her bedroom and bouncing down the stairs to sit at the large table taking up most of the main hall, her brothers sauntering down after her. The moment Dean set the food down, she was digging in like a starved animal, groaning in delight as her chewing began to slow, savouring her favourite breakfast. She smiled, nostalgia kicking in as she swung her feet gently under the chair.

She'd eaten this breakfast every year since her 10th birthday, when she'd found her way to a diner alone, having lost her only caregiver only a few months before. She was raggedy and far too thin, but she made the couple mile trek to the Swallow's Neck. It was really more of a bar than a diner, but it was peaceful enough during the day.

She'd pushed her way inside to see it almost empty, a few day drunks and a family in the corner booth, but no one else. Climbing up on the bar stool, she'd given the woman behind the bar the last of her money and asked for whatever she could pay for as she lay her head on the bar. The woman, Darla, upon seeing Y/n's state, ribs jutting out from her sides, took pity on the girl and gave her an extra helping of everything on her plate, watching worriedly as Y/n scarfed it down. When Y/n finally looked up from her plate again, her face was a little less hollow, her eyes just a tiny bit brighter. Eventually, Y/n waved Darla goodbye and hopped down from where she was perched and hobbled off back towards her house.

She was cold, to say the least, her feet bare and her clothes thin, not much protection against the bitter wind. But, still, she persisted, until a different chill ran down her spin. A black car had been tailing her for a few minutes, not speeding up, not slowing down, just a constant presence behind the 10-year-old. Although, she wasn't educated in the specifics, she knew that people following her was bad, so, on instinct, she started to run. The car sped up as well, still tailing her until she took a glance back and tripped over, shredding her knee as tears sprung to her eyes.

Unfortunately, she had also twisted her ankle and she panicked when she realised, she couldn't put any weight on it without toppling to the ground once more. She was a sitting duck, ripe for the kidnapping. Her heart stopped when she noticed the car still approaching, idling next to her, but it soon picked up again as she heard the driver's side door open and heavy footsteps disturbing the gravel underfoot. She curled into a small ball, face to the grass as she murmured wishes, prayers to anything that would listen, to save her.

Then a heavy hand fell on her shoulder and instinct kicked in, her elbow slamming up into the person's nose as she attempted to scramble away. Multiple muttered cuss words later and she was hauled up by the back of her dress, face to face with those candy green eyes she would come to trust with her life. At that moment though, she was lashing out left and right, tears blurring her vision as she landed a few more shots, kicking at his ribs when a taller man stepped in, holding her further away from the pair.

"Hey, kiddo, we're not gonna hurt you, ok? We work for the FBI." The man who was previously holding her gently pulled a badge from his jacket, showing it to her. Y/n was confused, still wriggling against her captor.