Three

Fifth of March: The Day Before

Leah and her younger brother Jake found themselves at the grand entrance of their grandparents' mansion.

A long gravel drive with stone features and sculpted hedges had led the way, and ancient oak trees offered the height. The patches of lawn were perfectly cut, having recovered from the cold winter, and by the summer time the whole place would be bursting with colour with new and blooming growth.

"This place is actually crazy."

"Oh my- you say that every time we're here."

Leah definitely didn't, but it deserved all of her appreciation since this property and land had been in the family for so long, so she supposed Jake might not have been wrong after all.

"Because it is- there's never a blade of grass out of place!"

"It's called a gardener," Jake deadpanned, finding his sister's awe amusing. "Well, gardeners to be specific."

The doors majestically opened inwards to reveal an older lady with permed white hair, dressed in the most stunning attire of yellow silk trousers, a delicate floral blouse and a white and black spotted scarf around her neck.

The siblings broke into similar smiles.

"Happy birthday grandma!"

"Hello hello, ah thank you darling! Come in!"

She quickly ushered them in and copying his sister's words, Jake wished her happy birthday in a warm hug.

"You look amazing as usual, grandma. You've put us to shame," he said, standing back up to his full six feet of height.

"Stop it my darling, you both look wonderful."

Leah was squeezing the strap of her rucksack on her right shoulder. "Where are mum and dad?"

"Oh, they're getting everything ready with the caterers in the kitchen. Dare I say, it's all smooth sailing."

"Sweet, I'll go find them." Jake excused himself with a crooked smile. "See you in a bit."

Once he had disappeared, Leah pursued her awe of her grandparents' spectacular home, and followed her grandmother to their usual place of comfort: the library.

It wasn't like walking along the original floors was a first time experience though. Both Leah and her brother had been here numerous times with their parents throughout their childhood and knew the place inside out along with every little secret that was tucked away. It was just that this home had belonged to her family for six generations, and Leah had always felt connected to the history when she had been told stories of her ancestors in portraits, as a child.

She loved growing up with her brother and her parents, but this place was spectacular and the reason why she would always look for an excuse to drive to Kent and escape the drawls of the busy cities that she was never too far from.

"You'll inherit this place one day."

The smell of musty books was enough to entice Leah into the library, despite having her thoughts read by her grandmother.

"That is, if you want it."

The armchair became occupied, and Leah flopped onto the grey velvet sofa with her rucksack carefully placed beside her.

"I...wasn't expecting that so out of the blue." Dazed was how she felt, but she figured it was justified. "But I mean, yeah...I-I'd love it, one day- maybe..."

Her grandma smiled at her stuttering.

"But what about mum? Is she not in line before me?"

The older lady nodded and smoothed a crease out of her trouser leg. "Yes and no, but I think she knows how much you like it here. She doesn't have much interest in living in it, and a house this size needs to be lived in."