Thirty Two

A/N
I definitely shouldn't be writing 10k words in a single weekend when I have a mountain of coursework to do, or using my time to publish this chapter, but I did and I am.

(Votes/comments will be appreciated as they will most likely get me through the rest of the week and so as Joe Perry once sung...pray for meee 🥺🙏❤️)

<>

Twenty Sixth of March: Twelve Days Later

The optimism that had taken its reign after the encouraging changes within twenty four hours, was quick to diminish.

The following day, despite the new dynamic, had no effective breakthroughs and it slipped unknowingly into another, before the fading glimmer turned into a week, and the week stretched close to two.

But, the five of them, more or less, worked well together, made routines, talked things over, and the burdening weight of secrets slowly subsided. It was mostly Steven confessing what really happened on that mild September night but after a few more tense rounds of swearing, it was accepted and put behind them.

Leah developed a close bond with Joey, Tom, and Brad to the point where it resembled a trusted friendship and it just made everything so much easier. With Steven, she was more careful jumping to her conclusions because she didn't want sympathy to guide her decision, but there was some improvement with him too. However, his detox had taken the majority of his energy from him, and even though he never complained, he was struggling.

He kept his cards very close to his chest unless inspired otherwise, and he preferred staying behind the wall that guarded his personal issues, rather than finding the words to share and accepting the help that was around him. But at the end of the day, it was Steven's choice, and they all had to respect that.

Leah was better, and Doctor Whitford checked in after the antibiotics were finished because apparently he was familiar with the basics of first aid and had paid enough attention to retain the knowledge. So, with what he knew, coupled with what she knew, they ended up making a pretty good team, and she definitely preferred the occasional headache over her immune system turning against her.

It was those little things that they all had, hidden facts and strong views on the dumbest of things, that showed Leah they were more than a band of musicians. She'd have to take their word for their talent and desires, but their passion for music was there, and it suited them a lot more than this way of life.

Most importantly though, no one had come knocking. Their safety staying out of the public eye was a risk they were forced to acknowledge with each day that arrived and at some point, something had to give. But until that rock hit, it was about covering their tracks and throwing hypotheticals together in a vague chance that it would all finally click together.

"Has anyone spoken to Steven today?"

Between the four adults at the dinner table, chewing slowed, the clank of cutlery digging into meals lessened, and a lot of eyes averted from Leah's sudden depth of curiosity.

She jabbed her fork at the last of her shepherd's pie, guilty for bringing the mood down.

"I'll take that as a no then."

"It's uh..." Brad took his time to find the correct words. "It's his birthday today."

Caught in surprise, Leah never took another mouthful.

Brad had grown his beard, thickness veering into strawberry blonde, which was most likely his natural colouring before he dyed his hair, and it may have covered a lot of his face, but it couldn't mask the tough restraint in his voice.