Fifty Six

Twentieth of October: Six Months Later

With Leah's signature complete, the pen was set down on the desk, and the prescription box that she held in her other hand was placed next to it.

It was a typical day at the vet practice; a busy turnover from the night team with six inpatients to deal with, appointments during the day, and then an emergency she had to squeeze in before she had the rest of her Friday afternoon free, and a long weekend to look forward to.

"This should help with his pain in his back legs, and the shot should have relieved him for now," Leah explained.

She stepped to the side so Jackie, the receptionist, could photocopy the paper.

"How many can I give him?" the client asked, looking a lot more relieved to hold her dog's lead than she had been half an hour earlier.

"Two to three a day because it's a low dose, and that can be every eight to twelve hours, with or without food. It's all on there," Leah said, pointing to the prescription bag that was being prepared. "Any problems just phone us back, but it will be a colleague of mine if you need to come back in."

"I'm hoping not, hey my boy? Thank you so much."

"No problem. Take care."

A gentle tug on the spaniel's lead to get him moving, Leah was actually impressed that there wasn't a queue of people and pets in the waiting room.

The benefit of having a large, established hospital practice was that she was rarely the only vet during her shifts, but it was quickly overruled by the fact that within five minutes- especially on a Friday like today- there would be a queue of people collecting prescriptions or arriving for their booked appointments.

"Are you finally finishing early?" Jackie asked, paperclipping the rest of the notes.

Leah turned to her, leaning back on the high rise section desk.

"You guys need to stop worrying about me. I like being kept busy."

And before she could be lectured about taking it easy, the phone rang.

"Speaking of..." Leah stood up straight, nodding to the phone. She loved perfect timings. "You should get that."

Jackie emptied her hands, all mothering in her eyes because it was just what she did to all the young vets and nurses, and answered the unforgiving shrill.

Pushing up her light grey sleeves that had fallen to her wrists, Leah disappeared out the back before the professional greeting she heard day in day out, could even be completed. A few unexplained nerves accompanied her walk to the storage room, but when she saw her best friend through the stacked shelves, it encouraged her confidence back.

"I'm going to do it," Leah announced upon arrival, flouncing her shoulders.

Tina paused whatever check she was up to, and peered over her glasses.

"I think...I'm ready."

The glasses were taken off completely, and the unconvinced expression remained.

"You don't sound so sure," Tina said, and clipped her specs onto her uniform.

"But I am," Leah countered, and swiftly jumped over to her side. "It feels different today, and the sooner I go...well, it's about time I get it over with."

"I just don't think you should rush. The funeral was only two months ago."

"I know! I know, but I need this."

Tina folded her arms, and studied her. Blue eyes narrowed for a moment.

"Well, we have enough vets to cover the afternoon consults and surgeries. Technically you shouldn't be working full time anyway."