Chapter 6 | Starry Night

When I wake up, I realize that it has become dark outside

When I wake up, I realize that it has become dark outside. I turn my head to check the clock. It reads eleven forty-two p.m.

Reaching over to my nightstand, I flip the switch of my lamp which illuminates my room. To my surprise, my parents and Grant are still here. They look exhausted and like they could use the rest. Mom and dad are both asleep in my chair, and Grant is somewhat awake, watching me like a hawk. His eyes have dark circles underneath them, as usual, and he seems like he is half-asleep. Closing his eyes every few seconds.

"Hey," I murmur, trying to get his attention.

He snaps out of his sluggish state and flinches at my words. Once he realizes that I'm awake and alright, a wave of tired relief washes over his face.

"You scared the shit out of me," He admits as he shuffles over to me to give me a gentle hug.

I hug him back as best I can, considering I'm still in a little bit of pain.

"I'm so sorry, Bry." He whispers as he pulls away, "I shouldn't have said those things."

I look into his soft, brown eyes and understand his regret.

"I'm sorry for scaring you guys like that," I whisper back, "I'm ok now, I promise."

He nods his head and pulls me into another squeeze that's tighter than the last one. I don't say anything because I know that he needs this. We both do.

I look over to mom and dad who are still sleeping, and notice that dad's mouth is wide open and he's drooling on mom's forehead. Grant laughs, noticing it as well, and I give him a small smirk. I am now able to move around because the pain in my stomach has gone away. I shift uncomfortably, trying to sit up so I can take a sip of water from the glass on my nightstand.

Grant reaches for the glass, and hands it to me, noticing my struggle. I smile, thanking him, and take a few gulps to quench my thirst.

"Dad got a call from Dr. Khan while you were asleep," He admits.

Slowly he moves his hand away, preparing for my reaction. My eyes widen as I put down the glass, and a sense of fear courses through my veins. Worst-case scenarios start to flood into my thoughts;

What if the medicine is not working?

What if I have to start chemotherapy?

What if I'll never be able to graduate high school?

What if I spend the rest of my days in a hospital bed?

I feel my heart begin to pick up its pace.

"What did he say?" I ask while looking up at Grant. He shifts uncomfortably, probably reluctant to turn Dr. Khan's words into reality. He looks back at me with innocent eyes, unable to spit out the news.

I notice my mom starting to twist and turn. Grant and I silently agree to go somewhere else to talk. I pull off the covers and rise from my bed. Slowly tip-toeing to the door, Grant following me, we successfully exit the room without waking up our parents.  He carefully shuts the door behind us. We walk down the stairs, trying not to make a sound. Steadily, I lead him to the screen door that opens up to our deck. We both step out, immediately in awe of the grand feat above us.

Stars.

There must be over a million shining down on us. They all blend into a spotty and bright pattern. So far away but yet so close. Grant seems to be torn between enjoying this moment or ruining it with the news. I choose to ignore his dilemma, I don't see nights like this very often.

I lay down with my back against the wooden deck and close my eyes, soaking in the magical atmosphere. Soon after, I feel Grant lay down next to me and relax as well. He is not usually one to marvel at nature's beauty, but I think he's had a newfound appreciation for all forms of life.

After all, life is precious.

After about ten minutes of staring at the sky, Grant breaks the awkward silence.

"How many stars do you think are up there?" He asks curiously anticipating my answer.

"Billions, maybe trillions," I respond.

"Wow," He marvels.

I open my eyes and look at him.

Grant. My brother. My protector.

Sometimes, I forget that he has a soft side too. He always puts up a cold front for those who don't know him. He tries to hide, afraid that if people see the real him, they'd hate it. He catches me observing him, and smiles. The smile quickly disappears as he remembers the urgent news.

He sits up quickly, and I follow.

Even though it's dark, the light reflects off of his eyes allowing me to see them. They look defeated. He looks at me with sympathy as he finally decides to spit out the news.

"You're not getting better, Brynne," He says with pain in his voice.

For some reason, I don't feel sad or helpless.

I feel angry.

What the hell?

Grant reaches out to hug me, but I pull away. I start to get hot as tears sting my eyes. My blood is boiling. I look through the glass door, and see my parents on the other side. Have they been watching this the whole time? I don't want them to see me like this. I don't want them to see me in pain.

My parents don't deserve this, neither does Grant.

They deserve a normal, happy, healthy sister and daughter. Instead, they got me; a sick burden child. I can't even explain how much it pains me to see the looks on their faces as they realize I have given up completely.

Tears start to well up in my eyes.

I quickly jump up. I contemplate hugging Grant and letting him comfort me, but I don't think I can handle another embrace right now. I don't need a pity party. I want to get out of here.

So without thinking, I start to run.