Chapter 39 | Never Leave

Three days have passed since I last saw Blake

Our argument caused me to say some things that I shouldn't have. I know that he's trying to be a better person for me, and sometimes I forget how far he's come. His childhood was hard, causing him to form a thick skin, something I should have remembered before coming at him. Blaming him for things that happened in the past is pointless.

Besides,

I miss him.

Grant became suspicious on the second day and asked me why Blake hasn't been visiting as much.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that we got into a fight because I know what his response would be;

"I told you I was right about him."

I can't stand to hear those words right now.

I wanted to believe that Blake would stay, despite our arguments. I want to think that he will come barging through the doors of my hospital room at any moment; begging for my forgiveness.

But I know what I said hurt him.

"I barely know you anymore."

God, how could I be so stupid? I pushed away the one person that makes me happy. The one person who makes me feel safe in this world of scary things

"Next," The lady states.

In front of me, Grant orders almost everything on the menu.

"Can I have the mac and cheese, potato salad, chicken sandwich, caesar salad, and chocolate cake, please?"

I almost throw up at the sound of all the food he about to consume.

"And for you, young lady?"

"A fruit cup, please," I politely ask.

I think that's the only thing my weak stomach can handle. Grant frowns at me before swiping his credit card at the register.

"It declined," The lady states. Grant's cheeks turn a bright red, and he looks around helplessly.

"I'll be right back," He states while leaving the cafeteria.

I see a tall blonde boy walk over from the corner of my eye.

"I got it," He smiles while handing the lady his card.

I turn my head; only to notice Zack.

"Hi, stranger," He smiles as he takes the card from the lady.

"Do you need help with all of that?" He chuckles.

I am handed a large tray, and Zack immediately takes it from my arms and carries it to the table beside his. Noticing Lily in the seat across from his, I send her a warm greeting smile.