Chapter 49 | Dance

Play the song above while you read

I can hear the faint classical music thrumming through the thick walls as Blake leads me through the mansion. The anticipation that fills the air is enough to suffocate me, but I try and keep my composure.

I've never experienced something as fancy and uptight as this ball, which makes me nervous beyond extent.

What if I mess up? What if I make a fool of myself and tarnish the reputation of Blake's entire family line?

With every step I take; my heels dig into the luxurious carpet we walk upon. My legs grow tired as the hallways become long and the doorways in the distance grow further.

"The ballroom is just around the corner," Blake states while gently grabbing my hand.

I smile as my cheeks heat from his touch. My body quiets down, and I allow myself to take a deep breath.

My eyes travel to the handsome man walking beside me. His hair has fallen from the gel, creating a laid-back messy look, and a candle lights his face, showing off his wide grin.

I am the luckiest girl in the world.

His shoulders tower over me, and his arm muscles threaten to rip the seams of his expensive suit.

"You should know that I'm not a good dancer," He mutters while pacing through a large archway that turns right.

"That's okay. Just follow my lead," I giggle. Teaching all those dance classes may finally pay off.

I allow myself to marvel at the beauty of this place. I've never in a million years thought I'd be able to go to something like this. And although I had zero time to prepare, something about this feels normal.

With Blake, these types of things are most likely a weekly occurrence.

I hope we can attend many more of these in the future. That is if my chemotherapy works, and all goes well.

Blake would have my head if he heard about my doubts, but I can't help them.

Maybe my tumors have spread, and we aren't pushing the chemo fast enough.

Maybe I'll deteriorate in a matter of days, quick enough to wonder where all the time went.

But, tonight I deserve a break from all the hospital talk.

Tonight, I want to feel like someone who matters beyond just diagnosis and treatment.

Blake and I both deserve that.

Speaking of Blake, he abruptly stops in front of a set of double doors where the music seems to be loudest.

My hands grow sweaty. Just beyond these doors is an entrance to a world I never knew existed.

Rich mafia men and accompanying wives will surely turn their heads to the young couple.

But, as long as I'm with Blake, everything else seems insignificant. I know he will protect me. His face will be the only one I see amongst the crowds, and mine will be his.

"After you, mi amorina," He whispers before reaching for the large door handle.

I straighten my back and step into the ballroom with excitement and shock coursing through my veins.

The previous ballroom at the Italian restaurant has nothing on this marvelous place.

The tall stone walls curve to meet each other at a center point on the ever-so-detailed ceiling.

A couple of floors have balconies that look down onto the luxurious quartz dance floor. I see people walking above us, carrying on important conversations and occasionally allowing a simple laugh.

Three dozen men are dressed in tuxedos and handing out small glasses of champagne, but the rest of the crowd is filled with many who look like royalty.

I notice a couple of women with dresses as long as the tables of hors d'oeuvres. Luckily most of the rest are wearing princess gowns and tight body dresses like me. I don't feel too out of place.

The men seem stiff, holding on to their dates like prizes they won at a fair. Although all of them seem to be in their mid-twenties, about the same age as Blake; they look beyond their years.

I'm guessing that the older men already have their share of dancing and mingling, which is why they are upstairs.

I'm not mad about that, they were starting to freak me out.

A song I seem to know comes on in its classical version, and people start collecting on the dance floor. Blake takes my hand and leads me toward the center.

"I'm nervous," I whisper into Blake's shoulder while important people gather around us.

"Focus on me, Brynne. Pretend like we're the only ones in this room."

His blue eyes glisten in the diamond-reflected light from the chandeliers. Suddenly, his left hand takes my right, and he lifts them into the air beside us.

I notice the waltz that the people beside us are beginning and take the lead of the dance, allowing Blake to follow the pattern of my feet.

Blake's other hand slides onto my waist as we move left to right. His slight smile reaches my heart, and with every move, he makes closer to me, I feel the pit in my stomach disappear.

As we dance, the only thing I see is his eyes. I usually can read them like the back of my hand, but tonight they look different. Tonight, he looks to have a newfound hope for our future.

I sure do.

He lifts his hand and spins me before dipping me with effortless grace.

My legs move at the speed they once used to, saving me from a couple of embarrassing trips.

We move all around the dance floor, and Blake dips me again with the beat of the song.

I feel like I'm in a movie.

But, my body grows tired, and I realize how truly exhausted I am.

After a couple more mistakes, I decide to let Blake take the lead and rest my head against his strong chest. His breathing is minimal which surprises me from all the movement.

"You okay?" He whispers, and I feel the sensation of his voice against my body.

"Mhmm," I assure him.

He gently lifts me for the last part of the dance, and I comply with his movements. His strong arms raise me towards the ceiling and bring me back down without faltering.

Slight maneuvers bring his body closer to mine, allowing us to truly feel one another.

Words can't describe the feelings I get when he is close to me.

Through tired eyes, I stare at his happy smile. At this point, all my weight is on him, but he doesn't seem to mind. His arms wrap around my body, and I feel him hoisting me from the dance floor.

We walk into what looks like a bathroom, and he sets me on the counter. I feel a tissue underneath my nose and realize; I must've gotten a nosebleed.

I shudder at the weird sensation.

"Shh, you're okay." Blake coos, "I'm just cleaning it up."

I nod and lean my head against his shoulder.

How lucky am I to be in love?

The tiredness takes over my entire body until I'm unaware of my surroundings.

But this doesn't scare me because I know I'll be with my soulmate when I wake up.

And that's all that matters.