Chapter 17 | Parachute

I wake up to a gorgeous sunset

I wake up to a gorgeous sunset. The most beautiful that I have ever seen. The bright orange hues and pink undertones are so neon to the point where the sky seems to be on fire. I yawn and stretch my arms. As I rub my eyes, I realize that I am still in the car with Blake. He seems to be focusing on the road.

I don't say anything, not wanting to disrupt his train of thought. Honestly, I'm hesitant to trust him because I'm not sure he has the best intentions. First, there was the night we ran into each other and hid in the alley. I don't understand why he hid from the cops. He wouldn't be scared unless he's done something wrong. Second, he's been very secretive and quiet, both of which he is usually not. Third, the sketchy paper I found on his desk. I don't know if it was for science or something else, but I hope it has nothing to do with Grant's recent spiral down the drain.

Or maybe Blake has changed. I haven't talked to him in four years. He's not the same innocent kid that he once was. Something has shifted inside of him, and I can see it in his eyes. I wish I knew what was going on inside of his head. I wish I knew what happened to make him so closed off to the world. Or maybe I'm just crazy and looking for stuff that isn't there.

Who knows?

I hope that's the case. I hope that Blake is smart enough to stay away from drugs and alcohol. I've seen firsthand how it can turn people into something they're not. But knowing Blake, he would never ruin his body with stupid things like drugs. Then again, I thought the same about Grant, and look at where he is now.

My brain hurts from thinking about all of this too much. These complications are why I don't tell people about my sickness. Cancer ruins people's lives.

I won't let it touch his.

"Good morning sleepy head," Blake startles me.

I can't help but smile at the sound of his deep but gentle voice.

"How much longer?" I groan as I try to stretch my back.

The bruise feels much better, but I'm still in some discomfort.

"A couple more minutes."

He grips the steering wheel and presses hard on the gas. The car accelerates, and the engine makes a revving noise. Blake lowers the windows, and the wind flows. I stick my head out the window and begin to laugh. The smell of the countryside is soothing for the soul. I close my eyes and pretend like I'm flying.

Who needs sky diving when you have cars?

I open my eyes and look over at him. I catch him staring at me, but he quickly looks away when I make eye contact with him. I roll the window up so I can ask him a question,

"So, where is this place you're taking me?"

He looks at the road.

"You'll see," He says with a straight face.