Chapter 34 | Eleven

My favorite people in the world are surrounding my hospital bed

My mom; positive as ever while keeping a happy smile on for everyone. For the past few days, she has spent most of her time dedicated to making my medicine cart and creating a hospital schedule. Her shirt that says 'Mom of a Warrior' is a bit over the top, but the effort is appreciated.

My dad; is practically the picture of exhaustion as he sits in the corner chair where Blake and I made out. The picture of him in the same spot is not so great, so I try not to think about it too much. The constant dark circles under his eyes show how much he has been stressing.

Speaking of stress, the king of nerves is standing right at my bedside, staring Blake down with pure fury in his eyes. Grant is wearing his usual backward baseball cap and an athletic t-shirt. As if bossing around the family wasn't enough, he has resorted to taking his anger out on the poor nurses who are just trying to do their jobs. The constant questions from him are getting annoying, but luckily I have a breath of fresh air; Blake.

He is silently standing on my right side, carefully watching over me. He is my rock in all of this, planting me to the ground. His eyes keep me stable as my crazy family takes a plunge. I feel as though his strength is enough for the both of us, his shoulders big enough to protect me from everything.

This is a moment that I will cherish forever. Despite all the emotions and feelings in this room, everyone has a common interest; me.

Now, I don't mean to sound so self-absorbed, but if it wasn't for me, everyone would be losing their minds. Blake and Grant would be at each other's throats, my mom would be a disorganized mess, and my dad would be stressing out of his mind.

In a sense, I am the peacekeeper of the room, and I hold the order. Without me, there would be chaos.

"Hello, everyone," Dr. Khan breaks the awkward tension in the air by walking in with a couple of nurses.

"I see we have quite the crowd today," He says in a monotone voice.

I swear this man is a robot.

Behind him, I notice Krista, the nurse who helped me clean up after my come to Jesus a few weeks ago. Her short stature is nothing compared to the tall and muscular guy nurses.

Blake and Grant both tense up at the sight of the male presence and immediately put on their mean faces.

They would never admit it, but they are very similar. It's almost to the point where their voices sound alike, and they walk the same way. Even after all of these years apart, old habits die hard.

"Okay family; we have news to discuss," Dr. Khan announces with a heavy accent.

I sit up and mentally prepare myself for the worst possible news. Everyone else in the room shuffles uncomfortably in anticipation.