Chapter 24 | Influence - (Blake's POV)

When the metal doors of the elevator clang together, they take the girl of my dreams with them

When the metal doors of the elevator clang together, they take the girl of my dreams with them. A lonely sensation floods over me as I realize how attached I was to her. The leash she has on my heart tugs every second I'm away from her.

Brynne is gone, I think to myself. She left me down here in this hot and humid basement to relish my mistakes. I feel my soul being crushed and immediately grow frustrated with the situation.

She wasn't supposed to find out.

I lift my head and yell at the top of my lungs. And without thinking, my fist hits the concrete wall and sends a sharp pain throughout my knuckles. But it's nothing compared to the pain of losing her. Nothing compared to the pain of seeing her helpless and wounded. My breath hitches as I turn and notice Mathias' lifeless body on the ground.

Ten times. I shot him ten times. Some may say it's excessive, but I think it was the easy way out. He's held my dad captive for ten years. Why not make him feel the pain that I have felt these past ten years? The pain of not knowing whether or not my father was alive. The pain of seeing Brynne struggle after almost being beat to death by that cagna. I think it's only fair that he finally gets a taste of his own medicine.

I will never forget his face when he finally realized that he could never outrun me. I'm too powerful, and he's too much of a pussy. I strapped him to a chair and simulated the same things he did to Brynne. The same hits and blows in the same spots. And when I was finished, I shot him without blinking.

I would do it again.

I spit on the floor next to his head which oozes with blood. "Vaffanculo - fuck you," I whisper. Then, I walk back to the medical room to take a last look at everything before I head upstairs. As I walk into the area, I marvel at the pulsating feeling it gives my heart. Butterflies swirl in my stomach as I take a look around. The sheets still ruffled from where she laid. Brushing my hand across the bed, I can almost feel her soft skin against mine. Smell her vanilla-rose scent. Take in her undeniable beauty that she can't seem to accept. Brynne is the most beautiful girl I have ever met, inside and out. I hate that she doesn't see it, and I wish I could show her. But I know that she blames me for everything that happened to her. I don't think she'll ever forgive me for it. Also, knowing Grant, he'll never let me see her again. The only things I have left of her are memories. They float in my mind as I lay on the bed where she slept.

Last night was one of the best nights of my life. Usually, when it comes to girls; I'm a one-night stand type of guy. I've never had a week-long relationship, let alone a girlfriend. As soon as the morning comes, I'm out of that bed and into the next one, kissing new lips every single night. But with Brynne, it's different. She makes me feel like a different person, in a good way. She brings out the calm parts of me and helps me control my anger.

I took it for granted. I took her for granted.

Sighing, I bring myself to my feet. Slowly, I sulk to the staircase, my legs feeling heavy and my arms dragging behind me. The floor seems to be pulling me down. I have to fight every instinct to resist lying down. Using the stairs is the only way to assure that I don't run into Brynne again. I don't think my heart could take looking into her stunning green eyes one last time.