Chapter 27 | Prayer

Gazing into the endless sky through my halfway curtained window, I have the perfect view of the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen

I know I say that all the time, but this one is truly astounding. Immediately noticing the gorgeous colors, I move my head so I can get a glimpse.

Hues of dark royal blue intermingle with orange tones to create a masterpiece overhead. Shades of pinks mix with those of yellow, creating a pastel sky. I can almost smell the morning dew and hear the birds chirping from the floor of my sheltered room.

As reality sets in, I feel the absence of someone lying on my chest. Where did he go? I question as I sit up and look around my room for Blake, who was only here a couple of hours ago. He must have left while I was asleep because I did not feel him get up.

I run my hands through my coarse but brittle blonde hair.

As I examine the room, I realize that Blake cleaned everything up before he abruptly left. The blood has been wiped from my dark hardwood floors. The broken glass from the picture frame has been disposed of, and the picture lies neatly on my untouched dresser. It looks like no one was ever here.

My mind almost doubts itself.

Maybe I was seeing things. Maybe I miss Blake so much that I imagined him being here.

Then I remember that his mother is dead.

Maria.

The woman who I knew I could always trust. She never failed to put a smile on my face, even when I didn't know I needed it. Maria was a kind and genuine soul who did not deserve to be murdered. I know that Blake wants revenge. I cab almost feel his spite still lingering in the air of my bedroom.

And for the first time in a long time, I whisper a prayer for his safety while he gives those sons of bitches hell.