Chapter 50 | Gentle - (Blake's POV)

"I couldn't be happier," Brynne whispers in a strained breath as if it hurts her to speak

"I couldn't be happier," Brynne whispers in a strained breath as if it hurts her to speak. I brush a piece of hair from her perfect skin and pull her body closer to mine.

"Why's that, my princesepesa?" I place my hand on her exposed back.

"Because today, I've had the most fun I've had in a long time."

"And I wouldn't have wanted to spend it with anyone other than you."

Her smile lights up the dimly lit bathroom as she closes her eyes and leans against my shoulder. No doubt did that dancing tire her beyond belief because she looks as though she hasn't slept in days.

Her head is barely any weight on my body, and having her next to me feels right.

Tonight, she looked gorgeous. From her perfectly curled hair and hand-picked gold jewelry to the beautiful dress she has on, my Brynne looked like a princess.

No, she looked like a queen.

Nevertheless, I can tell that she's exhausted, so I lift her from the counter and carry her to our limousine waiting outside.

I catch a couple of stares from past coworkers, but I ignore them. My only mission is to get Brynne back to the hospital, not start fights with people I don't even work with anymore.

If something happened to her, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Besides, I'm pretty sure her parents and Dr. Khan would kill me if she was hurt in any way.

I'm scared to think what Grant would do if he found out I brought her into a room full of old perverted men.

I'm so happy to be done with all of that bullshit. I finally feel free after ten years of working day and night. I feel like; now I can give my full attention to Brynne and her treatment.

She's so strong, and I think she's going to be able to get through this.

The whole ride back to the hospital, she grins and drifts in and out of consciousness. Her wide smile and slurry whispers keep me on my toes. My heart melts as she drunkenly rubs circles onto my thigh.

I do the same and draw circles on her exposed shoulder while she peacefully sleeps in my arms.

The entire ride back; I think to myself,

What have I ever done to deserve someone as perfect as her?

It seems almost ironic that a man as cruel and cold-hearted as me ends up with someone as kind and loving as Brynne.

She knows everything I've done to keep the Mafia afloat, and she still loves me. She's seen how jealous and angry I can get, yet she continues to be with me.

That is why she is the most important person in my life.

That is why I love her.

The limousine turns onto Parkway Road, approaching the Richmond State of the Art Hospital. This place has become our second home. It's not the most inviting, but I've been to worse.