Chapter 41 | Deep End

"Virginia Beach lies where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean

"Virginia Beach lies where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean. A 3-mile boardwalk stretches along its beach-lined oceanfront. The bayside First Landing State Park marks the 1607 arrival of the Jamestown colonists from England," I read from my phone.

Blake stares at the road, unfazed by this information.

"That's nice, baby," He jokes.

"I'm sorry," I chuckle, "I just can't believe that you've never been to a beach before."

He grips the leather steering wheel.

"Well, running a full-time business didn't leave much room for other things," He starts, "Besides my parents never really liked the idea of a family vacation."

"The couple of times that we did go, it was either to Italy or France."

He talks as if it's normal to be eighteen and never have been to the beach.

"You're going to love it," I exclaim.

When I was younger, my family went to the beach more than twice a year. We always found a way to travel, no matter our financial situation. That's how I fell in love with the beach. It will always have a special place in my heart.

A buzz from my lap startles me.

I pick up my phone and read a message from Grant.

"Hey, hru?"

I move my fingers to unlock my phone and type back,

"I'm doing good. We are on our way to the beach. One hour left until sweet paradise!"

"Wish I could be there :( How is Blake treating you?"

I look over and notice him smiling to the music on the radio. It's some love song by Taylor Swift.

About an hour ago, he asked me if I was hungry, and we stopped for a quick ice cream break. I got one scoop of cookie dough, and he got three of mint chocolate chip (like a weirdo).

"Like a princess, as always."

"Okay, Bry. Stay safe and lmk if you need me to beat the shit out of him when he gets back."

I chuckle at his message and send him the thumbs-up emoji and the shaking head emoji.

"What are you smiling about over there?" Blake comments as he stretches his neck to look at my phone.

Once he realizes whose name is on the screen, he grunts and clenches his jaw.

"Can you please try to get along with him when we get back?" I give him my best puppy dog eyes.

He sighs and accelerates the car.

"It's not me you have to worry about," He boasts, "When you were having a seizure, Grant decided it was a good idea to pick a fight with me. I'm not sure if he's open to putting the past behind us."