Chapter 35 | Butterflies and Sunrises

Friday, January 15th

Today is surgery day.

My sleepy eyes fight to stay open.

After the nurses awoke us at five in the morning, everyone evacuated the room to find coffee and something to eat for breakfast. They left me alone with my favorite nurse, Krista.

Blake went to check on his building, promising me he would be back in time for my surgery prep. He gave me a long kiss before departing, leaving me smitten for almost an hour. His touch almost sent me into a love coma.

He does crazy things to me.

Krista turns on the shower, and places a towel on the counter for me. I rub my tired eyes and stretch while a yawn comes rushing out.

"Are you alright to get in there by yourself?" She politely asks as I rise from my sweat-ridden bed.

"I think I'll be fine," I groan. My legs slide to the side of the mattress, and slowly, I push my weight onto my toes as I get up.

Sitting in bed for two days was probably not the best idea.

"Okay, I'll be in the hallway if you need me."

I nod as I make my way to the warm running shower. The heat against my bare back feels heavenly.

I try not to relax too much; considering the last time, I took a warm shower. Honestly, I don't think passing out would feel good with the number of drugs and steroids they have me on.

Scrubbing my finally healed body, I relish the feeling of no pain anywhere. My bruises and cuts have disappeared, leaving only small sores. Despite the headache and minor trouble speaking, I feel fine.

But, I know all of that is about to change. After the surgery, who knows what I'll be able to do. Maybe, my lungs will be so damaged, that I won't be able to talk. Maybe my body will be so broken that I won't be able to stand. On top of that, the chemo will put me in a state of sluggishness, causing me to sleep all the time.

I shudder at the thought of not being able to do anything without assistance. Sure, I love Krista and all, but I don't want to depend on her for everything. I don't want my family to spend their entire lives in the hospital.

Turning off the shower, I step out and wipe the foggy mirror. I look back at my frail reflection and begin to brush my hair.

I'm going to miss this, I think to myself.

I put it in a small braid and slip on the fresh hospital gown that Krista laid out for me. As I brush my teeth, my stomach begins to grumble in anxiousness.

Stepping out of the bathroom, the dimly lit room scares me. I put on the hospital socks from my bed and rummage through my suitcase for a blanket.

"You ready?" Grant's voice startles me.