Chapter 9 | Dandelion

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping

Thank God it's Saturday because I have a mountain of homework to do. I sit at my desk and blankly stare at a math worksheet. The numbers start to look like black and blurry blobs on the paper as I fall into a daydream;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elise and I were both 14 at the time, although we were both very mature for our age.

We were laying on our backs and watching the sunset after our run, sitting in a grassy field. The view looked like something out of National Geographic.

The silence lasted for a long time, I think our minds were elsewhere until Elise pulled me out of my thoughts, "Brynne, do you think we will be best friends forever?" She asked me as we soaked in the sunlight.

I looked over and admired her perfect skin that was glowing as the sun reflected off of it. The sweat gave her a dewey but ethereal look.

I giggled and responded, "We are gonna become old, crazy grandmothers together."

We both started to laugh.

She took my hand and placed it in hers.

"Tell me what you wanna do once you get older," She asks me.

I take a few seconds to think about my answer.

"I've always wanted to skydive," I smile.

She scoffs, "Sorry, but there is no way. I would much rather be at home, reading a book."

I rolled my eyes. Elise is anything but a daredevil.

"I also want to fall in love," I added.

Elise playfully hit me on the shoulder and said that we are both too young to be thinking about love.

I sighed and closed my eyes, imagining what it would be like to fall in love. I've seen movies where the main characters look to be obsessed with each other. They do crazy things for the other person. It's almost like their love blinds them to any interference. It looks crazy. I want to know how it feels. How it feels to have someone so engaged with you that they would do anything for you.

They'd die for you and, you'd die for them.

"What about you," I ask, "What's on your bucket list?"

She fidgets with the shoelaces on her sneakers.

"I've always wanted to visit France," She admits.

I've heard Elise talk about going to France before. She is practically obsessed with Beauty and the Beast.

"I'll take you one day," I assure her.