Chapter 12 | Winter Naps

Winter has never been my most favorite season

In my seventeen years of life, I've never once enjoyed the feeling of winter mornings or snow falling. If I could pick between the beach and mountains, I would choose the ocean one hundred times over.

Nevertheless, my parents planned trips of both types when Grant and I were kids.

Grant loves the winter. He loves everything from the cold weather to the present giving. Grant has always been great at giving people gifts. He always knows what to get someone to make them feel special.

One year Grant took into account that my mom took an interest in the jewelry displays in Costco. He saved all year to buy her a silver necklace with a diamond pendant. To this day, she still wears the necklace. I wonder if he's going to get her something this year.

Probably not.

He doesn't seem like he has any effort for anything anymore. All he cares about is getting drunk and partying. I now realize how lucky I was when he was over-protective and goofy. I would give anything to have that side of him back now. I know I complained about his strong opinions on my treatment, but I'd rather have him be like that than zoned out all the time.

"Do you know the address, miss?" My thoughts stop abruptly.

"Uhm, can you just keep driving? I'll tell you when to stop."

I don't exactly remember the address, but I could probably recognize the house once I see it. I look at every households' fetching Christmas decorations and am in awe.

The deeper into the neighborhood we drive, the bigger the houses get and the more elaborate the christmas lights become. We've never lived in a house as big as this. With my mom working as a Kindergarten teacher and my dad not advancing in his company, we've always had to settle for less.

I don't mind my house and adore its quaintness, but sometimes, I imagine how nice it would be to live in one of these huge villas. As soon as I lay my eyes on the house, I know it's the one. Even covered in snow, I remember it like I've lived here all of my life. The grey stone and dark oak wood make the house look like it belongs in the French countryside. The vines climbing up the walls add to the cottage-like ambiance even when the house is anything but.

I take a deep breath, a little nervous about showing up unexpectedly. I hop out of the car and walk up the stone driveway after giving the taxi driver all my cash. The cold wind makes me pick up my pace until I reach the extravagant front door.

Before ringing the doorbell, I prepare myself for what may occur. Before I can even lay a finger on the button, the door swings wide open, and I am greeted by a Great Dane trying to lick my face.

The dog immediately knocks me over and sends a cruel pain up and down my spine. Cold concrete is not the softest surface in the world, that's for sure.

Ouch.