Chapter 16 | Threats - (Blake's POV)

"Is this where you're taking me?" Brynne questions as I park my car on the side of the road

"No, this is just a detour."

"Stay in here. I'll be right back," I shut the door and lock my car twice. Trying my best to make this quick, I rush towards the building.

I look back towards my black car to make sure that Brynne is okay. This is not the safest area, so I have to double-check. I enter the large building and walk towards the security guards, Dante and Luigi.

"Afternoon Mr. Wright," They both say at the same time.

"Keep an eye on my car outside. It has precious cargo."

They both nod and tighten their grips on the rifles. The whole building has been on high alert ever since our cocaine mishap. Continuing towards the elevator, I silently greet all of the cadets on my way.

Our base has four levels. The top two are a distraction from the two underground floors. They serve as a hub for meetings and other minor events. When we go into a lockdown, the top two floors are shut down, and everyone is evacuated underground. Our underground levels are for cadet training and ammunition. We also keep most of our drug supply down there.

I press the button for floor number one, remembering that I have a quick meeting with our heroin supplier. I check my watch and notice that it's one-thirty in the afternoon. The meeting starts at one-thirty-five.

I sigh.

I wouldn't have even come if it wasn't for my imbecile assistant Antonio. Sometimes, I feel like I pay him to sit on his ass.

The elevator dings and the doors open to a long black carpeted corridor. As I walk, I look out of the black tinted windows for my car. I spot it and see Brynne sitting in the passenger seat. She seems to be mouthing the words to some song on the radio.

I tried my best to stay away from her, I really did, but she's pushing my limits. I don't know how much longer I can hang out with her without making some move.

Everything about her is perfect.

That's why after I do this favor for her, I must stop talking to her. It's for her own good. If she stays in my life, there's no telling what kind of consequences she may face. I'm trying everything I can to keep her out of harm's way.

I just hope that I won't be tempted to get her back after we split ways.

It hurts, but it's my only choice. I finally reach the room and fix my hair before I enter. I don't feel bad about wearing sweatpants because this meeting is informal anyway.