Chapter 14 | Whisper

Someone's chasing me through the woods

I can't tell who or what it is.

But for some reason, I can't seem to catch any speed. No matter how hard I try, my legs won't go as fast as I want them to take me. I'm too scared to look back.

So I keep running.

I feel a hand grab my shoulder. Shit. My heart starts pounding, and I'm afraid to look back at what's finally caught me. I start to scream for help as the hand has a grip on my body. The more I scream, the tighter they squeeze.

Until I wake up...

"Brynne, what's wrong?"

I jolt up into an upright position.

Ouch, my back.

Beads of sweat are running down my face and chest. My heart is beating a mile a minute. Even though it's dark, I can see the outline of Blake's body in front of me, his arm still on my shoulder. I struggle to catch my breath.

"It's just a dream. You're okay," He reassures.

He starts to wipe the sweat off of my forehead. My head is killing me. I grab his arm to balance myself. I think that I might throw up. When was the last time I took my medicine? Most likely, it was yesterday, before my trip to the hospital.

I grab my stomach and run for dear life to the bathroom.

I made it just in time before I got sick and ran to the toilet. I don't know what I am throwing up since I haven't eaten in twenty-four hours, but it's not pleasant. After cleaning myself up, I walk to the door and open it very slowly, hoping not to disturb anyone else.

As I turn to go back to my bedroom, I bump into what seems to be a soft wall. I feel a hand on my hips.

Blake.

"You feeling alright?" He asks.

It doesn't seem like he's showing much interest in how I'm feeling because he's staring straight at my boobs.

I knew I shouldn't have worn a tank top.

But I didn't have a choice. It was the only thing I had under my sweatshirt.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I respond shortly.

He clenches his jaw and lifts his head so he can see over me. I try and slip past him, back to the bedroom. His hand reaches for mine but brushes my thigh on the way.  I feel my stomach start to turn.

Is he trying to mess with me?

"Where are you going?"

I stop and face him.

"Back to sleep," I say with a questioning tone.

Where else would I be going?

"Oh," He clears his throat.