28: Fun While It Lasted

Note: lol

┏━━━━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━━━━┓

┏━━━━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━━━━┓

"They both found it
easier to believe in that
lie than accept the truth
of what was to come."

┗━━━━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━━━━┛

1 year later...

The innumerable stars painted the night sky, the crescent moon reflecting the light off which originated from the sun that had moved out from sight about an hour ago.

The dark shades sketching the sky allowed the stars to outshine the darkness of the backdrop. Their faint twinkles visible to the city dwellers, the myriad of stars only gaining attention from a few. The crescent was lined thin and evidently slim, it was only the second day after a new moon after all. The way it shone however, never reduced from that of a full moon.

The earthen fragrance of the soil remained constant in the air, the moist scent still lingering from the light showers that had occured before dusk.

The night was comfortingly warm, the pinch of humidity delivering a peculiar sensation to the skins.

The strumming of the guitar strings resounded in Y/n's ears. The source of the melody close to her, the plectrum pinched between her slender fingers moving in a periodic motion for the time being. It was such a familiar tune, one that had managed to give her the feeling of being cradled in loving arms, a gentle kiss being pressed against her cold skin.

It was the song she and Sam had made together.

The taste on Sam's tongue was bitter, his mouth sealed shut. Maybe it was from the lack of hydration or perhaps something entirely else.

They sat on the roof side by side, on her nineteenth birthday, a tranquil breeze brushing against them every once in a while.

With a final strum, she concluded the song, a small smile rippling on her lips. Sam didn't sputter a word or a single syllable at that, his gaze trained on his knees that he was hugging to his chest.

Eyeing him, she leaned against the brick wall, a low exhale escaping from her, "Just one year, huh?"

Sam didn't speak this time either.

He couldn't.

He couldn't take it any longer.

Acknowledging his denial to converse, she just shut her eyelids knowing well what was to come.

It's okay.

I knew it from the start, didn't I?

This day was always deemed to come and there's no helping it.