57. To The Startovers

Finally...

Pete sighed seeing Kao's sleepy face. He pulled himself away, laying him comfortably on the bed and checking his IV. He sighed again and settled beside him. He caressed Kao's soft cheek, the pale cheek that used to be so rosy.

He was crushed seeing his lover like this. This scared, this broken, shivering in his arms like a leaf and begging for help. So he laid beside him, hugging him tightly, holding him close, and putting up with all the shouts of leaving him alone and not hurt him.

Seeing his presence calming Kao, Lyla left for her rounds. But Kao woke up again and had yet another episode. It took him a painfully long time, trying to calm him down till the doctors had to sedate him again.

"Kao..." Pete kissed his forehead and smiled when the sleeping baby snuggled closer to his touch. "Yeah, you can feel that, right? I so hope you can still feel it in your heart that you're safe with me, even if I failed you now..."

"You didn't fail him"

Pete looked up at Beam with sorrowful eyes. But seeing the dead look in the other guy's eyes, he straightened up. "Where did you go?"

"Paid a visit to a trashcan" Beam said nonchalantly and settled on the other side of Kao, smiling down at his brother and kissing his forehead.

Pete frowned but didn't ask more. He'd long made peace with not understanding Beam. So he sighed and just watched Beam look down at Kao, smiling softly.

"Look at him, his face is so peaceful... like no bad happened to him" Beam spoke as he stroked his brother's hair. "Was he okay while I was gone"

"No. He's not okay. He was asking for you" Pete said through clenched teeth, trying so hard to restrain himself from crying. It made Beam look away from Kao and eye his brother's miserable boyfriend.

"This is all too much for anyone to handle, I know" Beam told the boy kindly. "Seeing the person you love in such condition, every moment they're in pain, you live that pain with them... and when you feel you... you can't help them" he sighed. "That crushes you... sometimes, overwhelm you"

Pete turned to Beam. "I'm not saying I'm tired of him, or this! I'll always stand by him, I love him! Nothing else matters to me!" He said. "But... this... Him like this... It's-" he broke down in tears.

"Painful" Beam said for him and he nodded.

"I don't know what to do... I don't even know how to hep him" Pete sobbed. "He... he only asks for you... and he's in pain when you're not here... and look at me, I don't even know what to do... I have always had others caring for me... dad, P'Pick... Forth... then him, Kao... I don't know how to look after him! What do I do phi?"

"Be there for him. Even if he thinks he doesn't want you to. Even if you think you can't help him. Even if he won't let you" Beam said. "Sometimes just being their... Is enough. I can't tell you it would be better soon, hell, it may get even worse. But I can tell you this, your love, can make it better for him"

Pete smiled dejectedly. "What are you, a relation guru?"

"Nah, I'm a mere remnant of a scarred soul" Beam joked and Pete scoffed.

"You know, I can see it. You really are his big brother" he said and Beam looked down at Kao, caressing his cheek softly.

"I am" he said firmly.

.
.