Chapter 1

To Piccolo's left, a waterfall plunged several yards into the depths before turning into a slow-moving river that meandered through a dense forest. The few rays of sunlight that found their way to the river through the closed canopy of leaves made the river glisten in the colours of the rainbow. Through the clear water, one could see the stones on the bottom and the many fish that were swimming there.

The green branches offered shelter to many creatures. Birds nested and squirrels jumped from branch to branch. On the forest floor, smaller and larger quadrupeds ran close with their noses to the ground in search of food.

But Piccolo had not chosen the area for its beauty but mainly for its tranquillity and the absence of people. The nearest settlement was many miles away. Since he had settled here a month ago, he had not met a soul. He had never stayed in any place as long as he had here. He had begun to like the forest and even feel somewhat at home.

Less than a year after the 23rd martial arts tournament, after wandering the earth for a long time, he had found this place. His place. Next to the waterfall, halfway up the cliff, was a ledge that led to a small natural cave. It offered the perfect shelter during storms. Not only the forest offered a lot of training opportunities, but also the plain above, from which the waterfall rushed down. Not far away, a mountain range rose up, where no people seemed to wander along either. For Piccolo it was the perfect environment. Here he would be able to train in peace.

Right now, Piccolo had no eyes for the beauty of his surroundings. He was meditating. His eyes were firmly closed, his legs cross-legged, his arms folded in front of his chest. He hovered about a yard above the floor of the rocky outcrop. Today he found it difficult to get into deep meditation, to activate his powers that lay dormant deep within him. His eyebrows twitched, his hands clenched around his upper arms again and again. Memories of the fighting tournament rose up in him. That Goku!

Just thinking about that guy, anger rose up in Piccolo. He had been humiliated by him, by this weakling. Goku had even given him a Senzu Bean to help Piccolo regain his strength. How stupid and effeminate of him. And Piccolo had no choice but to leave the battlefield as quickly as possible. He had to admit defeat, albeit reluctantly.

Piccolo took a deep breath and let the air out slowly. He could not allow himself to be distracted by such thoughts. Emotions only interfered with training and would not get him to his goal. He had to keep training to become stronger and finally defeat this Goku. His breathing was calmer now and Piccolo slowly went into deep meditation. His body began to glow. He activated his powers deep inside, brought them to the surface to be able to call them up better.

He could not tell how long he had been immersed in meditation until he heard a sound he did not know. Slowly he opened his eyes. It was almost dark, the sun could only be glimpsed on the horizon. Searching, Piccolo's gaze flitted over the forest in front of him. He saw nothing unusual.

The sound grew louder. It reminded Piccolo of a swarm of wild hornets racing collectively towards an object. Then something hissed over him. Reflexively, Piccolo jumped back and pressed his back against the rock wall next to the entrance of the cave.

The next moment there was a crash. About a mile away from the waterfall, twigs and branches broke, then whole tree trunks. A bang followed. Then silence.

Piccolo blinked and tried to make out what had just flown over him. But the trees obscured his view. Smoke was rising from the spot where the object had come down. He had to get closer.

Slowly he hovered over the rocky edge of the ledge and approached the crash site flying above the tree tops. The object had cut a swathe through the forest. Several trees had fallen victim to it. It had slid a few more yards across the ground before coming to a complete stop. Smoke was still rising from it.