Chapter 57

Piccolo:

"All right, what do we do now? Have you finally found out something?"

Piccolo knew he was being unfair to Dende and Menka. The two of them had certainly had their hands on every book and scroll that was in the extensive library in Dende's palace and had tossed and turned a night or two.

Piccolo, meanwhile, had rounded up all the male and female fighters he knew (18 had agreed to help), and asked them to train. Even Gohan joined in the training, even though Chi-Chi had taken a long time to convince until she agreed. No one knew how they could free Kera's and Vegeta's souls, but a fight would certainly be unavoidable. Kera's and Vegeta's bodies were too strong for that and the two dark ones - as Piccolo had come to call Malaha and Aitor - had had enough time to familiarise themselves with the bodies. They would not leave the bodies again voluntarily.

"Yes, I think we've finally found something!"

Even though Piccolo was pining for a solution, he was surprised to finally hear Dende say this.

"And what?"

"Does the technique Evil Containment Wave mean anything to you?"

Piccolo swallowed. Yes, of course it meant something to him. His father's memories lived on in him and so did his feelings. Many years ago, Piccolo the demon king could only be stopped by the Master of the Turtle Hermit using the Evil Containment Wave to lock and seal him in a rice cooker. In the process, however, he himself had lost his life.

"Yes, I know this technique. How is it supposed to help us? It doesn't just lock up the soul, it locks up the body."

"Not if the bodies are so weakened that they give up the body willingly," Dende replied.

"You mean we have to attack Kera and Vegeta and bring them to the brink of death?" Piccolo couldn't believe the little Namekian had actually suggested that.

"Papa, I think I know how we can get Mama to the point where her body is released without having to hurt her who knows how."

Menka stood tall beside Dende. She held a slender scroll tucked under her arm.

"How?" asked Piccolo curiously, but not without scepticism in his voice.

"You said that you could feel Mama's soul when you met her at the cave, so your connection was still there."

Piccolo nodded. The connection had been only paper-thin, but he had been able to see and feel it. That had been more than he had perceived from her in the whole of the last few months.

"And you also said that the dark one seemed to have sensed the connection, or in other words, Kera sensed the connection in her prison and thus became stronger, so that she was able to regain control of her body for a moment," Dende continued talking.

Again he nodded.

"We can try to get you to strengthen that connection again and so help Mama to free herself, at least in part," Menka finished the little lecture.

Piccolo felt as if the two had rehearsed their words carefully.

"How is this going to work? I can't connect with her right now."

Thinking about it now, he wondered why he had been able to reconnect with her that day.

"I think it has something to do with physical proximity. The closer you are to her, the more likely you are to make the connection," Dende replied.

"Fair enough, but how am I supposed to get closer to her? The two of them would attack me immediately."

"If you both attack them together and then some fighters distract and isolate the man, can we focus on connecting with Mama?"