Chapter 27

Piccolo had flown as fast as he could to the Briefs' house. The sun was now already completely over the horizon and bathed the large house in a pink light. He landed in the garden next to a large spaceship. It looked like the ship Goku had used to fly to Namek.

Piccolo wondered whether he should ring the bell or use one of the windows to gain entry, when he heard a rumble from the spaceship. Cautiously, he peered through one of the round windows. Inside was Vegeta, doing push-ups. The inside of the spaceship was illuminated by a dark red light. Vegeta's push-ups were almost in slow motion. Piccolo suspected that he was training under increased gravity.

Quickly, Piccolo knocked on the window. Only at the second knock did Vegeta turn and fix him. He wondered if it was worth interrupting his training. Piccolo waved him out. Slowly Vegeta rose and went to the control panel in the middle of the spaceship. After he had pressed several buttons, the light in the spaceship turned white. He had turned off the increased gravity. After pressing another button, the boarding hatch opened to the left of Piccolo. Vegeta stood in the opening and eyed Piccolo up and down.

"What do you want, Namekian?" His words could not have sounded more derogatory.

Piccolo ignored Vegeta's tone. "Do you know where Kera is?"

Vegeta's eyebrows shot up. "Why isn't she with you?" Was that just wonderment talking out of him or concern for Kera? Piccolo couldn't quite make it out.

"There's been a misunderstanding."

Threateningly, Vegeta took two steps towards Piccolo. Since he was still standing on the ramp of the spaceship, he could look Piccolo straight in the eye. "I hope for your sake you didn't hurt her!"

"No, don't worry. She had flown away after that guy from the future left. I haven't seen her since and I thought maybe she was here."

Vegeta took another step back. "That's right. She's supposed to be by my side, like she should be, but she's not. If you find her, tell her she has an oath." With those words, he turned and closed the boarding hatch behind him. Piccolo wanted to hammer angrily against the spaceship, but then thought better of it and rose into the air.

He flew aimlessly around. Where could she be? Again he stretched out all his senses to feel her aura, but he perceived nothing. Frustrated, he flew on.

At some point, he looked down, lost in thought, at his shadow cast on the grassy plain below. Next to his shadow, a wide river meandered across the plain. Abruptly he stopped in mid-air and looked at the surroundings.

Unconsciously, he had flown towards the forest where he and Kera had lived before Vegeta and Nappa's attack. They had only been here since then for the short time after Garlic Jr's attack until the arrival of the boy from the future.

A small hope spread through his body. As fast as he could, he flew to the edge of the plain and then dropped down the cliff beside the waterfall. He landed in front of the hut and tried to feel its energy again. Again nothing. Piccolo called her name. No answer.

Piccolo pressed against the door of the hut. It was only ajar. His hope that she was here rose. But mingled with the hope was a fear. Something was wrong.

As he entered, he kept calling her name. A quick glance around the living room showed him that she was not there. He ignored the door to the bathroom and opened the door to the bedroom.

An icy chill hit him. Small clouds formed in front of his mouth as he exhaled. His gaze roamed the room and stopped at the bed. There lay Kera, curled up like a child in the womb. She had her arms wrapped around her legs and her back turned to the door. She was still wearing the purple training suit.