Chapter 108

Piccolo:

Piccolo looked thoughtfully at Menka, Gine and Reyak. They were playing by the water and splashing around happily. He liked to watch how carefree they could be. Sometimes he also wished he could put all the worries aside and just live in the moment. He succeeded far too rarely.

He was worried about Kera. Had he interpreted the signs earlier correctly or just completely misunderstood them? Surely she would have told him something by now. They had spent a lot of time together since the tournament with the Sixth Universe. Time as a family, but also time as a couple and they had enjoyed it. She had still trained with Vegeta and Goku, but had stayed on Earth and not disappeared to Beerus' planets for weeks at a time again.

And then there was Gine. How had she managed to put out the fire on the time machine? Physically, she had to be a pure-blooded Saiyan. Apparently some of Malaha's magical abilities had passed to her after all. This was the first time she had shown those abilities, though.

No. There had been something else. When Beerus had almost destroyed the earth at Bulma's party, Gine had run up to him. Something had happened at that moment, because it had changed Beerus' mind and he had left without killing anyone or destroying anything. And she had wiped out the threat when Tarble had come to Earth.

They had dismissed the idea of binding Gine's powers for now. But what if these inexplicable events were now occurring more frequently?

He had to keep a closer eye on Gine now. If she showed further signs of magic, he would have to teach her so that she did not have this gift unchecked. Dende would certainly help him with that.

"Hey, Piccolo!"

Piccolo looked up. Trunks, the one from the future, flew towards him and landed in front of him.

"Hey, Trunks. Shouldn't you be resting?"

"Yeah, I should. But I can't."

Piccolo tapped the ground beside him and Trunks followed the prompting. He lowered himself to the grass beside Piccolo and now watched the children play as well.

"When did this Black show up?" asked Piccolo after a while.

"He was just there. He started killing most of the population. At some point, a resistance group formed. Mai started it."

"Mai?", Piccolo interrupted him. "The little girl who lives with Bulma?"

Trunks smiled. "Yes, that's the one. In my future, of course, she's an adult. And really ..." He blushed and looked to the ground, embarrassed.

"I see."

Trunks cleared his throat. "I joined them. The group kept trying to kill Black, but we didn't stand a chance. Mai always said that I was the last remaining hope for humanity, but I don't believe that. I couldn't even save my mother, Mai and Aunt Kera," he concluded sadly.

Encouragingly, Piccolo patted him on the shoulder. "I'm sure Goku and Vegeta will find a way to defeat Black."

"Isn't Kera coming?"

Piccolo shook his head. "We don't know if our bond will hold." At Trunks' questioning look, he told him about Kera's and his connection.

"Where is Gohan anyway?" asked Trunks after a while of silence.

"He lives with Videl in a big house in Satan City. He's an academic."

"So he doesn't train anymore?"

Piccolo smiled. "No, not really. Maybe he'll start again now that he realises there's another threat now."