Chapter 18

The ringing of an alarm clock roused him from his sleep. Goku stretched. After a quick look at Sitara, whose condition seemed unchanged, he bathed himself extensively and put on a new battle suit. Dr Brief had stocked a cupboard in the starship with several identical orange suits.

As he fastened his blue belt, he could already feel the tingling in his body that he noticed every time a fight was imminent. A pleasant, invigorating feeling. If he could believe Raditz, and he was from the Saiyan race, it would explain his desire to fight. He cautioned himself that he must not become arrogant. He had to stay calm and sort out the problems as quickly as possible.

The spaceship came in for a landing. Goku waited impatiently sitting on the bed. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. His senses were already scanning for the auras of his son and Krillin. Impatience was now mixed with concern. Would the two of them still be all right? What if they had already met the warrior who, according to King Kai, was the strongest in the universe?

Goku felt the ship touch down on the earth. With a whoosh, the hatch slowly opened. He looked once more at Sitara. Still she showed no movement. Gently he squeezed her shoulder.

"Wake up again, please, okay?" He wasn't sure if she could hear him say it, but the words made him feel confident.

He entered the upper level and stood on the ramp. A barren rocky plain stretched out before him, broken by many small lakes. He felt the aura of his son. He was shocked to find that it felt very weak. Determined, he jumped up and flew to Gohan.

- - - - - -

Goku did not have to fly far to reach his son. He found him lying on the ground, breathing heavily, covered in many scrapes. Krillin, lying not far from Gohan, looked even worse.

On approach, Goku tried to get the lay of the land as quickly as possible. He saw several strange figures. A tall guy with a shock of red hair, an equally long creature with blue skin, one with purple skin and horns, and a smaller guy with long white hair. Not far from Gohan and Krillin lay a broad body that did not move. When Goku looked closer, he noticed that it no longer had a head. So there was no danger from it.

He landed right next to Gohan. "Hey, son!"

"Papa." Gohan could not show his joy as he had wished, as every bone in his body ached and he could barely move. With difficulty, he braced himself up on one arm and tried to smile.

Krillin also noticed Goku's arrival, but his arm buckled under him again as he tried to push himself up and he crashed back to the ground. Groaning, he remained lying there, hoping that Goku had Senzu Beans with him.

The bystanders looked at the newcomer. Could he be dangerous to them? Should they attack him directly or wait and see? While they weighed their options, Goku put a Senzu Bean in his son's mouth. Only seconds later, the boy was standing again, grinning and enjoying good health. Krillin also received a Senzu Bean.

Then Goku turned to Vegeta, who had stood waiting a few yards away from them. He knew that if Goku attacked him now, he would have no chance. He could only keep himself on his feet with difficulty, swaying ever so slightly and then stabilising his posture again. Slowly, Goku came towards him.

"Wait, Goku!" shouted Krillin. "Are you going to give him a Senzu Bean?"

Goku stopped and looked at his son. "What happened here, Gohan?"

"This," Gohan pointed vaguely in the direction of the alien warriors, "is the Ginyu Force, Frieza's elite force. They attacked us because they want the Dragonballs. Vegeta fought with us against them."

"Did you get the Dragonballs?"

"We had them. Before those guys came," Krillin replied, pointing his head in the direction of the purple guy with two horns.