Chapter 30

The last months before the arrival of the androids went by at a speed Kera never thought possible. She spent the weekends with Piccolo and Kakarrot, as Vegeta wanted to spend the rest of the time training in space until the arrival of the androids. He had asked her if she wanted to come along, but she had refused. Even though it would have been her duty, he had accepted her decision. He ignored the argument that he would then miss the birth of his child and flew away with the spaceship. Kera missed him and was grateful at the same time that she had more time with Piccolo.

Six months before the arrival of the androids, Kera flew to Bulma after receiving word from her that she had given birth to a healthy baby boy. Vegeta had made her promise before he left that she would welcome his child as his second-in-command. This she had been only too happy to promise him. Not least because she was also curious about the baby.

Bulma greeted her with the boy in her arms on the large balcony of the mansion. She seemed to be beaming. Kera hugged her friend and then looked at the sleeping boy. Bulma had wrapped him in a blanket and put on a cap with cat ears. Carefully, Kera stroked the little head.

"How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. The nights are a bit tiring." Bulma looked at her son. "I'm so glad he's here."

Kera smiled. "I'm glad you and the baby are doing well."

"I named him Trunks."

Kera smiled. "May I hold him once?"

Bulma nodded and handed him to her. Kera felt uneasy holding this little bundle. Could she hurt him?

"Watch his head," Bulma said softly. "I'll be off for a moment."

Kera murmured in agreement, but paid no further attention to Bulma. She walked to the edge of the balcony with Trunks in her arms. Kera was overwhelmed by this small creature. She was just grasping the fact that she was even related to him. A new Saiyan. Vegeta's heir. She would protect him with her life too. He was family.

Slowly, she rested her forehead against his and closed her eyes. She concentrated on his energy. She felt it very clearly. There was great power in him.

"Welcome to the family, little prince," she whispered and lifted her head.

Trunks' cap had slipped, revealing a fluff of purple hair. Kera blinked. Purple hair? Was the boy from the future supposed to be Trunks after all?

- - - - - -

The last day before the Saiyans' arrival dawned. They wanted to use these 24 hours to regenerate. The sun was shining and it was pleasantly warm. Kera borrowed a bathing suit from Chi-Chi and swam in the river with Kakarrot and Gohan. The cold water was refreshing. They splashed each other wet, played catch and caught a few fish for dinner.

Piccolo preferred to stay sitting on the bank. Kera did not miss that he kept giving her furtive glances. Since they had entered into the second bond, she felt Piccolo's presence more clearly than ever before. As they had done years ago, they had strengthened the bond. If one of them was injured in battle, the other felt it but did not go down in defeat. They could also donate some of their energy to the other when things got dicey.

Kera had to admit to herself that she had more than missed this connection after his death. It strengthened her spirit and gave her stability. This calm green warrior had made it possible for her to find herself again. Kera, the Saiyan warrior who could also show her soft side and didn't see it as weakness.

She swam a few puffs again and let her thoughts run free. She ended up with Piccolo again. She wondered, not for the first time, if they could go one step further and become physically closer as well. Sure, they often sat very close to each other, touching, but nothing more.