Chapter 6

Over the next few days, she didn't see Piccolo at all, so her afternoon training sessions were cancelled. Sitara passed the time alone. She kept feeling vibrations in the earth and knew that Piccolo was taking out his anger on some rocks and boulders on the plain. Then she didn't feel his aura at all for hours and suspected that he was meditating. She had noticed before that she could not feel his energy then.

Sitara avoided even flying near the plane and always moved in the other direction. She thought a lot about the conversation by the fire. She had upset him because he did not want to be confronted with his past. She had not wanted that. Curiosity had driven her to ask the questions. She wanted to know more about this secretive green man she had been living with for several months. She wanted to be able to assess him better.

In the conversation by the fire she had learned more about him than in all the months before. Did he really want to take over the world? Then what was he waiting for? He had been in this wasteland for at least two years. As far as Sitara could tell, Piccolo was a good fighter. Was this Goku really any stronger? What if he hadn't made any progress in his training in the last two years? Wouldn't it be a good time to take the next step?

Sitara wondered about her thought processes. Strangely, she did not necessarily find the idea of taking over world domination reprehensible, but instead considered how best to achieve it. Was this normal? Or was this a glimmer of her true personality? Sitara tried to hold on to this thought, but the more she tried to grasp it, the faster it slipped away and she thought no more about it.

Ten days had passed since she had last seen Piccolo. She hadn't felt any vibrations or sensed his aura for two days. Had something happened to him? She thought it unlikely, yet an uneasy feeling nagged at her. She became more and more restless until she flew out onto the plain in the afternoon to look for Piccolo.

The search turned out to be easier than she had feared. He was sitting on the grass in an open area. His arms folded, his eyes closed. A glowing aura had formed around him, the sign that he was lost in deep meditation. Sitara hesitated. She had found him and made sure he was all right. Should she fly back to the forest?

She thought about it for a few minutes. On the one hand, she did not want to disturb him, on the other hand, she was relieved to see him well and found it hard to get away from the sight of him. She wished she could talk to him. Even though he was lost in deep meditation, his face looked tense, almost pinched. Sweat was pouring off his forehead. She would so much like to relieve him of the burden that seemed to weigh him down, or at least share it with him. Out of an inner impulse, she sat down on the ground opposite Piccolo and breathed in and out deeply. She wiped all thoughts from her mind, let her head go blank and accessed the source of her energy deep within.

The sun disappeared into the horizon, the moon moved across the sky. The two bodies on the plain were surrounded by a luminous glow that seemed to pulsate. The light surrounding them grew larger by the hour, pulsating more strongly. Rays of light detached themselves like wafting wisps of mist from the aura surrounding them and travelled towards the other body. The arms of light circled each other as if they were watching each other. When one advanced, the other jerked back, waited, then approached again. It was as if they were performing a dance. They circled each other, swaying back and forth, first against each other, then more and more in unison. They came closer and closer until they finally touched.

At the same moment that the two arms of light touched, Sitara and Piccolo jerked back. Torn from their deep meditation, they looked at each other. They both gasped.

"What was that?" Sitara was the first to regain her speech. Piccolo grabbed his head and sat leaning forward as if he had a headache.

"I don't know," was the only thing he said. His voice sounded hoarse.