Chapter 83

Piccolo:

Piccolo did not know what to say for several seconds. He watched silently as Kera took Gine in her arms and walked away with her without a word. She said nothing to the child. She probably didn't know what to say either. How could one react when one had just seen a not quite two-year-old make another being explode?

He had feared that something would happen at some point. He had hoped that they would have more time. That they could still prepare. He hadn't known how, but they had needed more time. Both Kera and Vegeta had not taken the prophecy seriously.

He looked to Vegeta, who was staring ahead of him, and how he was tapping his front teeth with his thumbnail like Kera did. They both did this when they were deep in thought.

"Vegeta ..."

"Not a word, Namekian," he cut him off and followed Kera.

Piccolo sighed. Both of them were stubborn. He would have to wait until their tempers calmed a little.

"What do we do now?" Bulma's eyes widened in fear.

"I'm going to talk to Dende. Maybe he has an idea on how to stop Gine's powers."

Bulma swallowed. "Vegeta and Kera certainly won't agree."

"I'm afraid so too."

Slowly, movement came back to the bystanders. They walked towards the pavilion, scattering, and only Piccolo, Menka, Dende and Bulma remained behind.

"Dende, do you think there's a way to bind Gine's powers?"

Dende shrugged. "I don't. There are ... spells for that sort of thing. I'll look that up. Whether this will help with Gine, though, I can't promise you."

"I will help you," Menka said.

"Thank you." Dende smiled at her. "We'll start first thing in the morning."

"Thank you." Piccolo looked back at Bulma. "I'm going to find Kera and then we'll fly home. We'll take Gine with us."

"All right. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with her right now. I mean, she's a child. But that power ..." She shook herself.

"It's difficult for all of us." He took a deep breath.

"I'll find Reyak. Then we can go."

Piccolo nodded his thanks to his daughter and walked towards the pavilion. He turned back to her after a few steps and saw her hugging Dende tightly. He returned the hug as well and then looked into her eyes for a long time. Only reluctantly did he detach himself from the sight. He had to talk to Dende about that. Later.

Piccolo did not see Kera and Vegeta at the pavilion with the others, who seemed to have mostly recovered from the shock. The mood seemed more relaxed. Goku stood a little apart, looking surprisingly thoughtful and not eating.

"Are you still thinking about what you saw?"

Goku did not turn to him, but only nodded slightly as he looked towards the spot where the fight had taken place.

"I wonder what would have happened if we had fought. Did Gine only intervene because she feared Goten and Trunks were in danger? Was she afraid they wouldn't make it on their own? Maybe it wasn't ... malicious, but just a protective instinct."

"I also don't think she did it because she enjoyed it, but maybe really because she wanted to protect. Still, we have to be careful. She is untrained and still very young. What else is to become of her?"

Goku nodded slowly. "We must train so that we are prepared for anything."

Piccolo let that sentence stand uncommented. He should have known that Goku would put his focus on something other than preventing things from getting worse in the first place.