Chapter 31

Piccolo applauded in his mind. Kera had her energy under control again as well as in their peak times when they had still trained in the forest and on the plains. She had defeated No. 19 with an ease that made him marvel. With that, one danger had already been averted. Now all they had to do was incapacitate the bearded android, who had unfortunately just made his way to safety.

Piccolo flew after Vegeta and Kera, who scanned the vast rocky plain with their eyes. Krillin, Tien and Gohan followed him.

'Well done,' Piccolo sent to Kera in thought. He felt a smile as she flew a few yards ahead of him.

They were going lower. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. This android could be anywhere. They swarmed out to cover a larger radius. Piccolo cursed inwardly. They should have insisted on another battlefield. It was hopeless.

Suddenly he felt himself grabbed from behind. A hand placed itself over his mouth. He felt his energy drain away. It had to be the android! Mentally, he called out to Kera who was only a blink of an eye later at him, tore the cyborg off him and placed herself in a defensive posture next to him in the air.

"Are you okay?" She didn't look at him, but fixed the android, who was standing only a few steps away from them on the rocky ground, looking up at them angrily.

"It's all right. I'll take care of this scum now."

With a fluid movement, he removed his turban and cloak and let them fall to the ground.

"You don't stand a chance. I've sucked your energy!" the android shouted towards them.

"Well, but only a small part, I'm afraid." He grinned and let his aura light up. The android took a step backwards and seemed surprised. Searching, his eyes darted across the sky until they seemed to have found a spot that suited him. Grinning snidely, he raised his arm. Piccolo braced himself for an attack, but the expected energy beam shot past several yards beside him.

"Shit!" yelled Kera and was gone the next moment. He now turned around as well and saw what the energy beam had hit. A plane. He had heard it earlier, but had not given it any further significance. The elderly android had brought it down with his energy beam.

Kera and - Piccolo blinked - the boy from the future sped towards the fireball of the explosion and caught two figures, landing with them in an open area. He joined them. Vegeta, Krillin, Tien and Gohan also landed.

Kera was just helping the fat one again, what was his name? Yajirobe? to his feet, while the future boy gently set Bulma and the baby down on the ground.

"Trunks, you came after all!", Piccolo greeted the newcomer.

Vegeta's head snapped around to Piccolo. Only then did he realise that he had just revealed the boy's name. His gaze wandered to Kera, who seemed completely unimpressed by the news. He wondered if she had already drawn her own conclusions.

"Vegeta, that was your wife and son on the plane. Why didn't you save them?", Trunks snapped at the older man instead of a greeting.

"You stopped us. Now the android is gone!" was Vegeta's reply.

"Vegeta, are you out of your mind? It's your wife!" Kera was just as angry as Trunks.

The purple-haired boy just shook his head. "Those androids aren't the ones I fought in the future."

Exclamations of amazement were the reaction to this statement. "Then who are they?", Piccolo wanted to know. Trunks shrugged his shoulders.

"I think I recognised that guy when I flew over you guys," Bulma spoke up. "It was Dr. Gero."