Chapter 10

Piccolo followed the energy trail of the alien warrior. He had flown across the sea to a small island. Piccolo suppressed his energy, flew slowly in a wide arc, then flew low over the sea and approached the island from behind. He landed behind the small house with the red roof.

Hiding there, he listened to the conversation between the stranger - Raditz - and Goku. It was hard to believe that he was an alien who had come to destroy the earth. And that this Raditz was Goku's - or Kakarot, as Raditz called him - brother sounded even more unbelievable.

Suddenly someone screamed. Was it a child? Piccolo tried to look further around the house to see more. Raditz had indeed got a child under his arm. The little bundle clung to him, limp and motionless.

"So, do you understand me, Kakarot?" Raditz now spoke again. "If you want your son back alive, I want a sign of your goodwill. You have until this time tomorrow to kill one-hundred earthlings and stack them up here nicely. When you've done that, you'll get your son back and you'll be part of our team."

The objections of that old dodderer, the woman and the pipsqueak did not change the situation. Piccolo peered a little further around the corner of the house. Raditz was standing in front of Goku, who was lying on his back, looking up at the stranger with his face contorted in pain. He wanted to save his son, no question about it. Only Raditz was a lot stronger. Sitara had been right. Even Goku could do nothing against him. Now that Raditz also had Goku's son in his power, this was perhaps an even better starting point for a collaboration, although Piccolo was still not comfortable with the idea.

"Well, see you tomorrow!" said Raditz, flying off with the child under his arm.

Goku screamed, reared back and shouted something. A small yellow cloud appeared. Goku wanted to jump up and fly after Raditz, but the pain made him drop to his knees again.

Angrily, he clenched his fists and let them come crashing down on the sand. He muttered something, then shouted loudly, "His tail. Of course. That's his weak spot. I know what I'm talking about. But I can't do it alone. I need your help."

This baldy immediately pledged his help, as did the doddering old man. Piccolo grinned in amusement. What could they possibly do? The next words from the woman were more interesting again.

"There, he's stopped. He's still on Earth." So this little group knew where Raditz and this boy were. Extremely convenient. Piccolo decided now was a good time to show himself.

Goku took an upright stance. "Let's go then. Let's make a return visit. Are you ready, friends?"

"You'll never make it," Piccolo shouted as he hovered over the group. A theatrical performance, no question. He would have loved to capture the surprise of the people below him. The woman fell over and tried to crawl away. Piccolo had to stifle a grin and landed on the island.

"I followed Raditz. With those two," he pointed to the old man and the bald man, "you won't beat Raditz. I'll go with you."

The next surprise blow to the group. He continued to speak, walking towards Goku. "You alone will not beat him. You know his power. If we team up, we have a chance." While he had been speaking, Piccolo had walked past Goku and stopped with his back to him. He hoped that he would take this as a sign of trust. If Piccolo was even willing to turn his back on him, his archenemy, then they might as well fight together.

"Why should I ally myself with you?" This was a valid question from Goku.

"Don't worry, it's only temporary. This guy is in the way of my world domination." Piccolo still thought this explanation was the most believable. Goku and the others would certainly not buy that he was actually no longer interested in seizing power. He added another sentence. "Once I get Raditz and his team out of the way, it's your turn and no one will stand in my way." This statement had the appropriate effect on the bystanders. Only Goku remained calm.