Chapter 22

Frieza! He had survived her attack. Kera looked up at the white alien. Her hand clawed at Piccolo's side, who was helping her stand up. She felt Piccolo stiffen and look up as well. She had given everything, but it had not been enough.

Frieza's torso had a large hole in it, the edges of which were black. Frayed. Burnt. He must have hit the island hard in the fall, above which she had dealt him the final blow. His right side had bruises in several places and bloody scratches. His upper arm was discoloured pink by the blood.

He grinned wickedly at her. Kera understood. He would not accept this defeat. He would do anything to make her die, even if it meant killing himself. As if in slow motion, he raised his uninjured left arm and extended his index finger. Kera prepared to dodge, but she was too slow. Piccolo moved in front of her. Frieza's energy beam hit him, piercing him at about shoulder height and whizzing just past Kera's head. The force of the impact threw Piccolo backwards, slamming into Kera and crashing to the ground with her.

If at all possible, she felt pain erupt in more places. Her mind raced. What were they going to do now? She couldn't fight anymore. Piccolo's aura was also so weak that it was barely perceptible. Krillin had no chance either, Gohan had already tried his luck against Frieza and had failed. But what about Kakarot?

Kera helped Piccolo push himself into an upright position. He held his shoulder. The wound was bleeding badly. She only managed to push herself into a kneeling position. She could not persuade her body to do more.

Kakarot had placed himself protectively in front of them all. "Haven't you had enough yet, Frieza?"

"I won't have enough until you've all passed on. None of you will leave this planet alive."

Gohan stepped up beside his father. His expression just as angry as Kakarot's. "Dad, let's fight Frieza together!"

A pause arose. As Kera was beginning to wonder if Kakarot had even heard what Gohan had said, he spoke, "No. You fly with the others to my spaceship. You are leaving the planet!"

"But, Papa!"

"Touching! A quarrel between father and son just before their deaths." Frieza laughed coldly. "Which one of you is to be next?" His gaze wandered over the bystanders and lingered on Krillin.

Again he extended his arm. Kera cried out, suspecting another energy beam from Frieza, but he used a different attack this time. Krillin was lifted into the air as if grabbed by an invisible hand. He was terrified. Helplessly his arms and legs wriggled in the air. Frieza slowly raised his arm and let Krillin rise a few yards.

"Goodbye!" Frieza's open hand closed into a fist with a jerking motion. At the same time, they heard a bang. As Kera's gaze darted back to Krillin, she realised what had just happened.

Where Krillin had been floating in the air just a second before, a ball of fire was spreading out from which individual burning pieces detached themselves and floated downwards. Frieza had made Krillin explode in mid-air. Kera couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"You rotten bastard!" Kakarot roared out. Kera could almost grasp his anger. Gohan took a step back, startled. He too felt his father's unbridled rage.

Kakarot had both hands clenched into fists and stood leaning slightly forward. He was breathing heavily, as if he had to concentrate hard to control his anger. Kera blinked. Had his hair just turned blond? Kakarot cried out again, craning his neck. She saw his eyes. They were completely white. No more pupil.

Again a scream escaped his throat, sounding almost inhuman. His aura flared up and made him glow with a golden light. His pupils were back. But they were green now. And his hair stood up and was blond. He turned his attention to Frieza, who had been watching the spectacle with obvious discomfort.