Chapter 62

Piccolo:

He sighed inwardly. This waiting was annoying. He had forgotten about it.

"How's it looking?" Kera had come to stand beside him again, after disappearing briefly to demonstrate her power on the measuring instrument.

"The first round is through. Our four have progressed as expected."

He heard her bright laughter in his head as she leaned on the railing. "Who's next?"

"Menka will fight a fourteen-year-old boy."

No sooner had he finished the sentence than Menka and a blond boy entered the ring. The boy towered over her by two heads and looked down at her disparagingly. Piccolo's hands clung to the railing of the balustrade. He didn't like the way his daughter was being looked at.

"Hey, girl, do you always have that ugly green colour in your face or are you sick?"

Piccolo growled. Kera's hand rested reassuringly on his.

"What did he say?"

"He insulted her because of the colour of her skin."

"She's about to kick his ass."

Menka had ignored the older boy's comment and positioned herself at the edge of the ring in a fighting stance. The boy took up a position opposite her and hopped from one leg to the other. What did he want to achieve with that?

When the referee raised his arm, the crowd went quiet for a moment. Then he gave the start signal.

The boy jumped forward and wanted to land the first blow at all costs. But he did not even come close to Menka. Without changing her stance, she sent out a wave of energy that hit the boy and knocked him right out of the ring.

A murmur went through the crowd. Menka loosened her stance, narrowly tilted her head towards the referee and left the ring. It took the judge several seconds to recover his words and declare Menka the winner.

Piccolo grinned. That was his daughter. But he was distracted. Kera's hand clenched almost painfully in his.

'Did you teach her that attack?' Kera looked upset, almost panicked. She was breathing intermittently.

'No. Did you?'

She shook her head violently. 'You know I don't fight like that. That neither of us fights like this.'

'What's troubling you?'

She waited a moment before answering. 'Cell used that attack.'

'You mean that she already seen it then ... I can't think of it.' He pulled her close to him. 'It's all right. She has developed her own fighting style. She doesn't want to fight directly.' He felt her slowly calming down.

"And this is your cousin?!" Piccolo heard Videl's voice.

"Yes, that's her. Piccolo and Kera's daughter," Gohan replied.

"Wow, she's awesome. Do you guys keep in touch much?"

"Yeah, we see each other regularly. Piccolo and Kera are like my second parents to me," Gohan said.

Piccolo smirked and instantly got a questioning look from Kera. He quickly shared with her in his mind what Gohan had just said to Videl. As hoped, this lifted Kera's spirits considerably. Cautiously, she leaned against him. Even though all sorts of people could see them right now, Piccolo didn't care at that moment that she was showing her feelings so openly. He put his arm around her and pulled her even closer to him.

- - - - - -

Kera:

The fights were not very exciting. Even the ones in which their children, Trunks or Goten took part were almost boring, because their opponents were finished with only one blow or even took flight before the fight started. Only the semi-final became really interesting.