Chapter 61

Kera:

Bulma sat on the ground. In front of her was a blanket on which the girl lay, muttering happily to herself, while Bulma held a rattle in front of her, which she grabbed eagerly. As Bulma pulled the rattle away to make the girl sit up, the expression on her face changed for a moment and the rattle flew out of Bulma's hand right into the baby's little fingers.

Startled, she looked at her empty hand, then at the baby.

Kera jumped forward and picked up the little girl. "Hey, Bulma, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think so," she replied hesitantly. Then she shook her head and stood up. She gently stroked the child's cheek with one finger. "She's so cute."

"Are you really okay with her being here?" Uncertainly, she stepped from one leg to the other.

Bulma smiled. Hesitantly at first, then more openly. "I'm happy to look after her. She's a lovely girl."

"I mean ... because ..."

Bulma put a hand on Kera's shoulder. "Kera, you don't have to ask me every time. It was a shock when I caught you two and I was hurt. I could have snapped. No one can change what happened. We all have to live with it. And if it means I'm a stepmother to a little girl, then so be it."

Touched, Kera swallowed and wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. She hugged Bulma.

On the flight back home, she looked at the little girl in her arms over and over again. Although she was only a few weeks old, her eyes already looked so all-knowing that Kera sometimes got goosebumps. Then, when she smiled, that feeling quickly faded.

Kera landed in front of the house and was briefly disappointed that neither her children nor Piccolo came running to meet her. When she turned towards the waterfall, however, she saw why no one was paying any attention to her. The three of them had turned their backs on the house and were gazing intently at the rock face, where there was no longer a waterfall thundering down into the depths.

'Just a moment more. I don't want to break Menka's concentration now,' Piccolo said in her thoughts without turning around.

Slowly Kera stepped closer. To Piccolo's right, Menka stood with her hands outstretched towards the waterfall. She was breathing heavily. Her dark shirt was already wet with sweat at the back. With her mental abilities she had dammed up the water. And had been doing so for some time, as Kera realised when she looked up. There, the water was already collecting several yards high, as if it were being held back by an invisible wall.

Kera was impressed by her daughter's telekinetic powers. She was almost a little envious. She had clearly inherited these abilities from her father. She wondered if Menka would become even stronger than him.

"Release it now," Piccolo said.

Instantly, the wall in front of the water dissolved and everything rushed into the depths. With a loud splash, the water of the upper river rejoined the lower river. Piccolo, Menka and Reyak were splashed from top to bottom. Kera had jumped backwards in time with the baby on her arm and only got a few drops.

"Try it a little gentler next time." Piccolo shook himself. Kera heard a smirk in his voice. With a wave of his hand, he dried their clothes.

"Hello, my lovelies!" called Kera, stepping forward now. Menka and Reyak turned and grinned. Kera crouched down to give them both a hug.

"Have you been training with Uncle Vegeta too?" asked Reyak, taking the baby from her arms as a matter of course. The little girl beamed at the elder. There seemed to be a deep bond between the two.