Chapter 53

Kera:

A few days later, Kera and Piccolo were having a little training fight with Reyak watching them and Menka meditating a little apart, Menka suddenly snapped her out of her concentration.

"Mum! Dende called in!" Menka came flying towards Kera. Her hair, which by now fell to her shoulders, Kera braided into a long plait, as she also liked to wear it. Smiling, Menka hovered in front of Kera.

"Did Dende find out anything?" Menka nodded. "Does he want Vegeta to come too?" Another nod. "Can you please give him ..."

"I've already let Uncle Vegeta know."

Kera smiled and gave her daughter a kiss on the forehead. Ever since the children knew that she and Vegeta were brother and sister, they had immediately called him 'Uncle', which Kera thought was very cute. "Thank you, sweetheart." She turned to Piccolo. "I'll be flying then."

Piccolo pressed another quick kiss to her forehead too, and she said goodbye to Reyak and was about to fly off, when Menka held her back by the arm once more.

"Mum, Dende said he sensed something dark in you, didn't he?" Uncertain, Kera nodded. "It's getting stronger."

During the flight, she feverishly pondered what Dende might have found out and what Menka's statement meant. She was so curious and excited that she slowed down far too late over the palace platform and stumbled on landing. Before she fell lengthways, two arms had caught her.

Irritated, she looked into Vegeta's dark eyes. "Hey ... thanks," she murmured, unable to take her eyes off his face. He held her close and she breathed in his scent. Had he always smelled this good?

Without thinking, she put a hand to his cheek and stroked it with her thumb. Then her thumb moved to his mouth and traced the line of his lips. Vegeta closed his eyes and moaned softly.

"There you are!"

Startled, Kera lowered her hand. Why had she been on Vegeta's cheek? He had caught her so she wouldn't fall, but she hadn't moved since, had she?

Dende walked slowly towards her. Vegeta let Kera slide to the ground. He looked as irritated as she did. What had Dende seen?

"Is everything alright with you? You look a little ... pensive."

"We ... are just very curious to see what you've found out," Kera replied, hoping that Dende would accept that excuse. The young Namekian nodded, but his expression remained sceptical.

"Come along." He led them through the palace to the small garden inside. He pointed to a large rectangular table on which lay some books and scrolls. Kera and Vegeta sat down next to each other on one side of the table, Dende on the other. He almost disappeared behind the mountains of paper.

"It wasn't easy to find out anything. Saiyans don't like to keep records."

Vegeta made a snarky sound. "We are a race of warriors. Stories were passed from mouth to mouth."

"Which makes it hard to find out anything when hardly anyone of the people exist anymore," Dende returned.

Kera raised her eyebrows in surprise. She hadn't expected such a quick-witted remark from Dende. Even Vegeta seemed surprised for a moment, because he didn't reply.

"Be that as it may. I found something."

"Now don't make it so exciting," Kera said, realising how she would have preferred to slide around uneasily on the chair.

"When the twin's sister gives birth to two lives, the two dark ones will rise and she will conceive of her brother to give birth to Chaos to enslave the universe." Dende looked back and forth between Kera and Vegeta expectantly.