Chapter 107

Piccolo:

"That was really good, Trunks." Kera helped Trunks from the future stand up after he was sent to the ground by Goku.

Piccolo walked over to his mate and offered Trunks a hand, which he gratefully accepted. His face contorted in pain, he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Man, Goku is so fast."

"That's because Son-Goku briefly transformed into a Super Saiyan God," Piccolo enlightened the boy.

Questioningly, Trunks looked up at Piccolo, then his gaze wandered to Kera.

"We've been training a lot and your father, Kakarrot and I have reached a new level."

"Can you train with me?" Trunks' eyes lit up.

Kera gave a short laugh. "Sure."

Piccolo looked at his mate. There was always something charming about her smile to him. Even after all these years, he felt he couldn't get enough of it. But then he stopped. Was she more glowing than usual? It was almost as if she was glowing from within and she hadn't often had that before.

'Kera, did you ...?

She looked up at him as she heard his question in her head, but she didn't let him finish and turned back to Trunks. "Would you like something to eat first?"

Now Trunks laughed. "I'm starving. I have no idea when the last time I ate was. Mai had ..."

He broke off and looked sadly at the ground. His hands tightened.

Gently, Kera stroked her nephew's back. "What happened to her?"

Piccolo's mind rattled. Trunks had mentioned the name once before and since then he had been pondering how he knew it. His gaze wandered across the meadow and lingered on the time capsule Trunks had travelled to them in. The little blue-skinned boy who called himself Pilaw, the fox-faced one called Shu and a black-haired girl who had been living with Bulma for some time were helping her examine the machine. When he looked at the girl, he startled. Her name was Mai. That was why the name was not unfamiliar to him.

"Mai and I wanted to come here with the time capsule. Together. We had finally gathered enough fuel and had set off for the time capsule. But Black ... attacked us. I couldn't protect her."

Tears came to the young man's eyes and his knees began to tremble. Kera pulled him into her arms and Piccolo put a hand on her shoulder. Through their connection, Piccolo felt how sad Kera was, as if she was trying to absorb the boy's grief into herself.

He massaged her neck, trying to reassure her that he was with her. That they hadn't lost anyone. That everyone was okay.

"Trunks, I'm sure you did everything you could. If this Black really is as strong as you've told us, you can't defeat him alone."

Trunks took a deep breath and finally nodded. "I'm going inside for a bit," he muttered and headed towards the house.

Vegeta and Goku, standing a few steps away from them, watched Trunks with worried looks.

Kera wrapped her arms around Piccolo's middle and rested her head on his chest. He pulled her even tighter against him and she followed the movement only too willingly. There was no longer any sign of the happy glow of a few minutes ago. It was as if her emotional world had turned 180 degrees in a matter of seconds. He faltered again. Did that mean ...?

"Mama!" Menka came up to her with Gine holding her hand. "Would you like to stay here for a while? Then I would fly home with Gine. She's tired."

Kera tried to wipe her face as inconspicuously as possible as she turned to the two of them.