Chapter 7

"Sir," JARVIS says, "Captain Rogers is here."

"Tell him I'm not home," Tony says. He's not dealing with that guy today.

"I'm afraid he already knows you're here," JARVIS says. "He's with Ms. Romanoff and Mr. Barton now."

Tony raises an eyebrow. "Barton's still here?" It's been, like, four days. Probably. Something like that. Doesn't he have better places to be?

"Yes, sir," JARVIS says. "He came back yesterday when he was finished at SHIELD."

Tony raises the other eyebrow, too. "I didn't even know he left."

"Perhaps if you'd spend less time in your lab..." JARVIS says.

"I'm busy," Tony says irritably.

"With all due respect, sir," JARVIS says, "you haven't actually done anything."

Tony purses his lips. Okay, that's true, but he's not just going to sit here and take it. "Well, what am I supposed to do? I promised Pepper I was done with my suits. I can't just break that promise because she's not here right now." And probably won't be here for a very long time. And only talks to Tony by phone these days. And is consequently barely even in his life anymore.

"You could go upstairs and talk to your friends," JARVIS suggests.

"They're not my friends," Tony mumbles. They've barely even spoken since New York.

"You saved the world together," JARVIS reminds him. "The least you can do is offer them some coffee."

Tony shakes his head. "They'll just want to talk about Loki."

"Then let them," JARVIS says. "You haven't seen him in days. There shouldn't be much to talk about."

"That's exactly the problem," Tony says. "You don't think that's the first thing Mr. Goodie Two Shoes is going to complain about?"

"Loki hasn't caused any harm," JARVIS reminds him.

"Yeah, I know that," Tony says, "but he doesn't. And he won't care. Believe it or not, some people don't think not hearing from the mass murderer in your house for a few days is a good sign."

"I've spoken to him," JARVIS offers.

Tony scoffs. "What?"

"I've spoken to Loki," JARVIS repeats. "He's as glad to be out of your way as you are to be out of his."

"No, okay, back up," Tony says, climbing to his feet. "You've been talking to Loki."

"Yes."

"Why?" He doesn't know how to make that question any more specific. He just doesn't get it. JARVIS is supposed to be just as smart as he is, so why would he talk to the psychopathic god hiding out in the tower?

"He spoke to me and I answered," JARVIS says simply.

"About what?" Tony asks. Is he planning something? He's not sure what Loki could be planning because he's bound to the tower by Asgardian magic, but if he's talking to the guy — using the term loosely, of course — that runs the place, he must have some sort of goal in mind.

"Mundane things that a human wouldn't think twice about," JARVIS says.

"Like...?" Tony prompts.

"Nothing that poses a potential hazard," JARVIS says, "so I don't believe it matters."

"JARVIS —"

"He has a right to confidentiality the same way you do," JARVIS says. "He's not a danger to anyone but himself. If I begin to suspect that changes, I will tell you. Until then, our conversations remain private."