Chapter 97

Why does Thor bother knocking on Loki's bedroom door if he's just going to walk right in after?

Loki got bored of waiting for the Avengers to come back, so when Snowflake came looking for him, he turned into his cat form so they could snuggle up together. He hasn't exactly planned on letting anybody see this, but it's a bit late to change that.

Snowflake lifts her head when she sees Thor, but she doesn't move, so Loki stays where he is, too. Thor has seen him do weirder things than become a cat to snuggle with his cat. There's no reason to pretend he's not doing this right now.

Still, it doesn't stop the amusement from creeping up on Thor's face. "Really, brother?"

Loki just meows at him.

Snowflake doesn't seem to like that, because she climbs to her feet. She reaches her front paws out and arches her back, stretching herself out before curling up at the end of the bed.

Loki changes forms, this time to her female body, still wearing the clothes she'd worn in her male form earlier. She stretches out along the bed, her feet landing mere inches from the cat. Snowflake is unbothered, just lying down and brushing her head against her foot.

Loki gives her brother a cheeky smile. "Is this better?"

"I prefer the other," Thor says teasingly. "The cat cannot talk."

Ordinarily, Loki would stay in this form for a while — she's feeling rather ambivalent about her gender at the moment; she doesn't particularly care how she presents herself — but with the constant risk of the Avengers walking in and finding their mysterious friend from the tower's parties, she decides it's probably safer to return to her male form.

Thor cocks an eyebrow. "I still prefer the cat."

"Exactly why I decided against it," Loki replies. "How was your mission? Did you accomplish whatever it was you'd hoped to accomplish?"

Thor grimaces. "Not exactly."

Loki isn't particularly concerned about that. "You'll find it soon, I'm sure," he says. "Have you spoken to Heimdall? I imagine he would be the most helpful consultant."

Thor freezes. "How do you know that we're searching for something?"

"You didn't exactly try to hide it," Loki says. He can tell Thor isn't quite comforted by that, so he adds, "I didn't follow you, if that's what you're implying. Snowflake will vouch for me, I'm sure."

They both look over at Snowflake, who promptly lifts up her hind leg and starts licking her butthole.

"Is it important?" Loki asks, but he answers his own question. "It must be, if you have to keep it from me."

"It doesn't matter," Thor says. "I mostly came up here to ask if you've eaten."

"That depends on why you're asking," Loki answers.

"We grabbed dinner on the way back," Thor says. "We brought you a burger."

Loki raises a brow. So they ate without him. He's not all that surprised — it makes sense that the heroes would want to eat with the other heroes after their heroic mission — but he can't deny that he feels a little left out. And they thought of him, clearly, because they brought him something back, which means they made the conscious decision to exclude him.

And yes, he understands that they physically could not include him, and yes, he understands that it was kind of them to bring him something regardless, but he can't help but feel a little bitter anyway. Being trapped in a building sucks.

"I'll eat it later," Loki says. "If you can put it in the fridge for me."

"I can," Thor says, "or you could do it yourself and join our movie night before I go back to Asgard."